TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Fiberglass scoop paint question??

Default Fiberglass scoop paint question??

Hey guys. I have painted my 69 Ford Cobra in the original red using PPG base coat/clear coat. The body has gone fine but now it is time to do the fiberglass hood scoop. It is currently painted with some sort of single stage (probably cheap) paint. I need to paint it with PPG. The body I took down to metal then did epoxy primer then sprayable polyester body filler then 2k urethane then sealer, base coat and clearcoat. The single stage paint that is on it now is the wrong color and has some chips and scratches. I don't think I can remove the paint without damaging the fiberglass. Can I just scuff it and apply body filler in the chips and then do the epoxy or do I just apply the 2 k? I am worried that it may not stick and I could have some lift, etc. I have never had to deal with a fiberglass piece that has already been painted. Thanks for any advice!
    Roger
    cut hood2 (1).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rogerpir View Post
    Hey guys. I have painted my 69 Ford Cobra in the original red using PPG base coat/clear coat. The body has gone fine but now it is time to do the fiberglass hood scoop. It is currently painted with some sort of single stage (probably cheap) paint. I need to paint it with PPG. The body I took down to metal then did epoxy primer then sprayable polyester body filler then 2k urethane then sealer, base coat and clearcoat. The single stage paint that is on it now is the wrong color and has some chips and scratches. I don't think I can remove the paint without damaging the fiberglass. Can I just scuff it and apply body filler in the chips and then do the epoxy or do I just apply the 2 k? I am worried that it may not stick and I could have some lift, etc. I have never had to deal with a fiberglass piece that has already been painted. Thanks for any advice!
    Roger
    cut hood2 (1).jpg
    I would hand block to bare fiberglass with 150 grit or close but careful then treat it like you did the body. Such a nice car do it right.

When we want to strip paint off fiberglass we normally use a chemical stripper then apply an epoxy primer then a 2K filler primer, block sand and paint.

Thank you!

Default fiberglass repair

Well, I got the paint off the scoop. There are a few areas where there is gouges in the fiberglass. Can I apply body filler directly to the fiberglass or do I need to spray epoxy and apply the body filler over the epoxy?

Quote Originally Posted by rogerpir View Post
    Well, I got the paint off the scoop. There are a few areas where there is gouges in the fiberglass. Can I apply body filler directly to the fiberglass or do I need to spray epoxy and apply the body filler over the epoxy?
    As long as the surface is clean and sanded you can apply the filler directly to the fiberglass.

On your first application press the filler into the surface scratches.
    Last edited by Len; 05-12-2021 at 05:27 AM.