TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Whatís best product for painting engines and exhaust

Default Whatís best product for painting engines and exhaust

I have my engine pulled out of the car right now, and I am wanting to clean it up and paint it. What would be the best and longest lasting product or method for painting the engine?
    I am also looking at cleaning up and painting the exhaust headers.
    Do these generic hi-temp paints work or they a waste?
    How about POR 15ís engine paint kits?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsand160 View Post
    I have my engine pulled out of the car right now, and I am wanting to clean it up and paint it. What would be the best and longest lasting product or method for painting the engine?
    I am also looking at cleaning up and painting the exhaust headers.
    Do these generic hi-temp paints work or they a waste?
    How about POR 15ís engine paint kits?
    In use PPG Concept SS paint for blocks and have all my headers ceramic coated to a stainless look. Having the headers ceramic coated greatly reduced temps in the engine bay. Just make sure you have them coated by a company that does both inside and out. Headers will never rust and will almost last a life time. On valve covers I do my own powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    In use PPG Concept SS paint for blocks and have all my headers ceramic coated to a stainless look. Having the headers ceramic coated greatly reduced temps in the engine bay. Just make sure you have them coated by a company that does both inside and out. Headers will never rust and will almost last a life time. On valve covers I do my own powder coating.
    Perfect. That was what I was thinking, ceramic on the headers. There is a company here in Indianapolis that is advertising inside and outside ceramic applications.
    Thanks

ceramic coating exhaust should ideally be done on new headers. if rust has already taken hold the ceramic won't stick. i did my own using a product from cerakote. mine are pretty small though compared to what you're probably doing. the interior is the hardest to coat, you have to make plugs to seal the ends, and then flow coat it by rolling it around. i used a borescope to be sure i got it fully coated. bake it in the trusty powdercoat oven.
    that company used to make a product that actually insulated the inner surfaces but it's been discontinued. too bad cause i think it worked really well. i still have enough to do a few small projects but when it's gone, it's gone...
    totally agree with ron on the concept ss for engine paint, it's really tough and it cleans well. it'll discolor in a few places that have high heat, but every paint will do that. the cool thing with it is that you can get any color you want.
    clean the engine really thoroughly. several times with white rags so you see if anything is still coming out of the pores.
    inside the engine i use glyptal. it seals the pores and i think it helps the internals stay cleaner.
    b marler