TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: 63 Lemans

Default 63 Lemans

Ive decided to strip the several paint coats off on my car. I do not know the history of it, as I purchased it a little over a hear ago.I can tell that this car has been painted twice. I discovered some cracking underneath the most recent paint/primer. As I sanded further these cracks went all the way to the sheet metal. I'm just wondering what would cause this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Yes sir...

Quote Originally Posted by 63Lemans View Post
    Ive decided to strip the several paint coats off on my car. I do not know the history of it, as I purchased it a little over a hear ago.I can tell that this car has been painted twice. I discovered some cracking underneath the most recent paint/primer. As I sanded further these cracks went all the way to the sheet metal. I'm just wondering what would cause this.
    WELCOME ABOARD! Let me ask, do you have a 63 Lemans? They came with a 4 cylinder (which was half of a 389cu in. Pontiac V-8) or that car came with a 326 V-8 - but anyway...

Hard to tell EXACTLY what caused that cracking. Back through the years lacquer paint was common and (versions) of enamel were the popular low cost repaint variant. One thing for sure was lacquer paint sprayed on top of enamel would cause quick curdling and cracking down the road.

Best bet at this point is continue to sand down to a solid foundation even if it means bare metal. Have to caution you before you take the whole car down to bare, plan on what you will cover the bare metal with as far as an appropriate primer as you really don't want the bare metal sitting exposed as dampness will encourage and begin the early rust to set in. Have your gun, primer, masking material ready. Keep us posted.

Henry