TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Paint question

Default Paint question

I cleaned tire sticker on in side of Original door with lacquer thinner and paint rub off with the glue from sticker but when I cleaned molding glue on outside of door just the glue Residue came off. do I sand door down to metal

Quote Originally Posted by jack7787 View Post
    I cleaned tire sticker on in side of Original door with lacquer thinner and paint rub off with the glue from sticker but when I cleaned molding glue on outside of door just the glue Residue came off. do I sand door down to metal
    As long as you're painting over the existing paint you should only need to scuff it and apply your new paint. Next time it might be best to use a milder solvent like grease and wax remover to remove glue. In April and May 0f this year a gallon of the solvent below is $35.

kinda depends on what you're doing. lens right though, go for a mild solvent and/or some heat to soften the glue. some car companies only shoot base on the jambs for color, so the finish isn't as hard as the outer skin. that's probably why you rubbed through. (i'm assuming)
    if the rest of the finish is sound you shouldn't need to strip it.
    b marler

The door is from a 1989 Ford crown Victoria wagon With this door being that age is it OK to scuff and paint and trust the age of the paint to paint over

The door is from a 1989 Ford crown Victoria wagon With this door being that age is it OK to scuff and paint and trust the age of the paint to paint over
    If it hasn't been repainted during it's long life I'd say just scuff and shoot. If it's been repainted then it's a crap shoot and the chances of problems are greater.

Thanks for info about this since I donít know about doors paint Iíll start fresh and sand down for piece of mind