TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Cleaning overspray from glass on paint booth lights

Default Cleaning overspray from glass on paint booth lights

I recently built paint booth and was able to find 22 4 foot paint booth lights from a large truck painting business that closed down. They are commercial lights of good quality with glass 4 foot coverings. They are loaded with overspray and I have been trying to clean the paint from the glass and its very time consuming. I have been spraying on lacquer and using a razor blade but its taking forever. Is there a better product out there for cleaning overspray? Maybe some type of acid that would lift the paint without damaging the glass. I tried searching here but didn't come up with anything. Thanks Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pb57 View Post
    I recently built paint booth and was able to find 22 4 foot paint booth lights from a large truck painting business that closed down. They are commercial lights of good quality with glass 4 foot coverings. They are loaded with overspray and I have been trying to clean the paint from the glass and its very time consuming. I have been spraying on lacquer and using a razor blade but its taking forever. Is there a better product out there for cleaning overspray? Maybe some type of acid that would lift the paint without damaging the glass. I tried searching here but didn't come up with anything. Thanks Paul
    With that much to clean I'd probably spray on some paint stripper wait 15 minutes then pressure wash it off.

thats a good idea as long as the stripper doesn't hurt the glass. I will have to check. thanks Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pb57 View Post
    thats a good idea as long as the stripper doesn't hurt the glass. I will have to check. thanks Paul
    As long as it's glass and not plastic you'll be ok.

thanks Len

First I would try lacquer thinner and if that didn't work then I would use a razor scraper.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    First I would try lacquer thinner and if that didn't work then I would use a razor scraper.
    That's what he's doing now but he says it's taking too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    That's what he's doing now but he says it's taking too long.
    Alrighty then.

It's like we used to say in the body shops - " You can have it fast or you can have it good -- but you can't have both. "

Use the wide razor scrapers...
    51EBIVTRgqL._AC_SL1000_.jpg