TheCoatingStore.com

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Cleaning overspray from glass on paint booth lights

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default Cleaning overspray from glass on paint booth lights

    I recently built paint booth and was able to find 22 4 foot paint booth lights from a large truck painting business that closed down. They are commercial lights of good quality with glass 4 foot coverings. They are loaded with overspray and I have been trying to clean the paint from the glass and its very time consuming. I have been spraying on lacquer and using a razor blade but its taking forever. Is there a better product out there for cleaning overspray? Maybe some type of acid that would lift the paint without damaging the glass. I tried searching here but didn't come up with anything. Thanks Paul

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    44,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pb57 View Post
    I recently built paint booth and was able to find 22 4 foot paint booth lights from a large truck painting business that closed down. They are commercial lights of good quality with glass 4 foot coverings. They are loaded with overspray and I have been trying to clean the paint from the glass and its very time consuming. I have been spraying on lacquer and using a razor blade but its taking forever. Is there a better product out there for cleaning overspray? Maybe some type of acid that would lift the paint without damaging the glass. I tried searching here but didn't come up with anything. Thanks Paul
    With that much to clean I'd probably spray on some paint stripper wait 15 minutes then pressure wash it off.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    thats a good idea as long as the stripper doesn't hurt the glass. I will have to check. thanks Paul

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    44,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pb57 View Post
    thats a good idea as long as the stripper doesn't hurt the glass. I will have to check. thanks Paul
    As long as it's glass and not plastic you'll be ok.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    8

    Default

    thanks Len

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lower Michigan
    Posts
    30,159

    Default

    First I would try lacquer thinner and if that didn't work then I would use a razor scraper.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    44,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    First I would try lacquer thinner and if that didn't work then I would use a razor scraper.
    That's what he's doing now but he says it's taking too long.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    lower Michigan
    Posts
    30,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    That's what he's doing now but he says it's taking too long.
    Alrighty then.

    It's like we used to say in the body shops - " You can have it fast or you can have it good -- but you can't have both. "

  9. #9

    Default

    Use the wide razor scrapers...
    51EBIVTRgqL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •