TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Door Edge Repair?

Default Door Edge Repair?

A while back my truck unfortunately was in a small accident due to a uninsured driver. It took a hit on the driver side as you can see from the door (the fender was already replaced). I am paying out of pocket to get this fixed, but my question is do you think this is repairable? The door edge is somewhat wavy and there is a dent in behind it also. My other big concern is because it is the driver door I am reluctant to replace it because of the VIN label being attached to the inner door jamb. I am not sure of what legal issues I would have to go through to do so. I thought maybe with some heat the door edge could be possibly straightened out and the dent fixed as well and the door repainted, but I need your expert advice. I appreciate any advice you could give, thanks.

IMG_0173.jpgIMG_0175.jpgIMG_0176.jpg

Good news is YES, your truck door can be fixed!

Quote Originally Posted by Just1me View Post
    accident due to a uninsured driver
    Bad news is NO, this will never be fixed!

All I can tell you is… Get ready for much more of this type ILEGAL driving!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just1me View Post
    A while back my truck unfortunately was in a small accident due to a uninsured driver. It took a hit on the driver side as you can see from the door (the fender was already replaced). I am paying out of pocket to get this fixed, but my question is do you think this is repairable? The door edge is somewhat wavy and there is a dent in behind it also. My other big concern is because it is the driver door I am reluctant to replace it because of the VIN label being attached to the inner door jamb. I am not sure of what legal issues I would have to go through to do so. I thought maybe with some heat the door edge could be possibly straightened out and the dent fixed as well and the door repainted, but I need your expert advice. I appreciate any advice you could give, thanks.

IMG_0173.jpgIMG_0175.jpgIMG_0176.jpg
    The door can probably be repaired but you may be able to replace the door with a used door cheaper. Get some prices.
    As far as the VIN number goes in most states it's the number on the dash that's important, removing the one on the door is usually not a problem.

That door is a gravy lick to repair. (easy job to repair).

You might have to remove the fender to get proper access to work on that door edge.

I also think it could be fixed but every shop I've talked to so far just wants to replace the door and has quoted me $1000-$2300. I've researched online and seen doors worse than this repaired so I am not sure why this one can't be. That is why I wanted to ask here first on the forum to get an autobody tech advice first.

When you first look at this dent it actually seems small and insignificant which should lead to an easy repair. However after downloading and enlarging your pics I'm not so sure. I've no doubt you understand that a shop has to quote the repair based on parts, materials and man hours. It's the possibility of high man hours to repair the existing door vs finding a used replacement door that may make a world of difference in price. As phil stated you may have to remove the fender for this repair and I suspect the inside door card to get access to the jamb area in which to straighten the jamb, all this will increase man hours. Once jamb is pushed forward into alignment you still have to start massaging the outer door sheet metal back to contour as well as prep and paint.

Understanding dent anatomy (what happens at the panel when a dent occurs) is key too what is needed for any sheet metal panel repair. A reputable shop will not only quote you a price that reflects replacement vs repairing, they will explain why. You may want to consider finding your own used replacement door, strip all the components and have it painted. As Len and Phil have way more experience with modern vehicles in P&B repair I will defer to their knowledge but I can see where a used replacement door might be the way to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Massaging a bulge such as this is not that hard, my biggest concern is man hours it will take to bring jamb and sheet metal back into contour.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah I been looking at getting another door possibly to replace it. I found a few the same color which is Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl which has been kind of a hard color to find parts for. Door prices Ive found range from 600-800 and new replacement VIN labels from ECS start at $125.

Len, how many hours would you say to fix that door ? The odds are the fender will have to be removed, which that in itself could eat up an hour or so taking it off and reinstalling it. The door repair and repaint looks to be around 8 labor hours. $250 in materials. I wouldn't do that job for under a $1,000 and probably closer to $1,400.

If he can find a door in the right color (VERY rare) in the $600 range then that would be the way to go.

If it was my car I would repair it. But then I work pretty cheap for myself. LOL !

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    Len, how many hours would you say to fix that door ? The odds are the fender will have to be removed, which that in itself could eat up an hour or so taking it off and reinstalling it. The door repair and repaint looks to be around 8 labor hours. $250 in materials. I wouldn't do that job for under a $1,000 and probably closer to $1,400.

If he can find a door in the right color (VERY rare) in the $600 range then that would be the way to go.

If it was my car I would repair it. But then I work pretty cheap for myself. LOL !
    I agree that finding a used door would probably be the easiest, cheapest and fastest way to do the repair. In our shop it would probably cost $1500 to $2000 for the repair and paint.