TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Painted my first car, clear went on super cold and I donít know how to fix it

Default Painted my first car, clear went on super cold and I donít know how to fix it

I think the base and mid turned out fine, the paint booth I ended up using didnít have heat so I sprayed the clear in low 40* temps, and I think I might sprayed too dry. Iíve been wet sanding by hand but the car is still very matte/flat and Iím loosing base in certain areas because I think the clear is so light (I sprayed 4 coats though).

Iíve been sanding with 1000-1500 grit smoothed with 2000. The roof turned out well and it was sanded the most. I hit the rest of the car. Used a DA and a polishing cream. Still looks bad. Iíve started wet sanding again but I fear that Iím not doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hestia1020 View Post
    I think the base and mid turned out fine, the paint booth I ended up using didn’t have heat so I sprayed the clear in low 40* temps, and I think I might sprayed too dry. I’ve been wet sanding by hand but the car is still very matte/flat and I’m loosing base in certain areas because I think the clear is so light (I sprayed 4 coats though).

I’ve been sanding with 1000-1500 grit smoothed with 2000. The roof turned out well and it was sanded the most. I hit the rest of the car. Used a DA and a polishing cream. Still looks bad. I’ve started wet sanding again but I fear that I’m not doing the right thing.
    When the temp is low the paint droplets won't flow into a smooth finish, hence you get a rough finish. I usually recommend at least 55 to 60 degrees F minimum.

If possible I'd say to sand it some then respray the clear in warmer temps.

get a cheap temp gun to measure the cars surface temp. it can be quite a few degrees below ambient temperature. i use 60f as a go/ no-go for painting.
    b marler

All perfect suggestions as usual. I'm curious if you used a cool temp reducer as well. If I bring a car into the booth from extremely cold temperatures (not often as I live in north central Texas) I let the car sit for at least 24 hours to acclimate before painting as your looking at 3-4k pounds of endothermic/exothermic properties to bring the car to booth temps. Bringing a cold massive object into the booth will suck the heat from the environment in any booth, esp a small booth. While my booth is climate controlled at 72 degrees I always use a thermo gun to check surface prior to application. Typically 4 coats of clear would be plenty of clear to sand out with no problems, however none of us was there to see the application to judge it's value. At this point I only see 2 options, 1) pick an inconspicuous spot, sand it wet all the way to 3000g, use a good strong buffer, not a DA, with a wool pad and buff with Wizards compound or like product and concentrate on that area to see what can be accomplished. This is one of those times a big heavy buffer like my Dewalt 9" really does well. 2) scratch with 1000 or 1200g wet and re shoot the clear in appropriate temperatures.
    Last edited by Ronf; 04-01-2021 at 03:36 PM.