TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Cleaning wool buffing pads

Default Cleaning wool buffing pads

Is there a method for deep cleaning 9" wool buffing pads as to remove paint pigment? I have about 15 or more 9" wool buffing pads that were used over the years for compounding clear coat in which I used a bit of base to pignment the top clear coat on various projects. If you have done this you know what I'm referring to. I use a spur frequently when in use to keep the pad clear of debris, however there is always some pigment transfer to the wool a spur won't take off. In the past I have just separated them into like colors and continued using.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Is there a method for deep cleaning 9" wool buffing pads as to remove paint pigment? I have about 15 or more 9" wool buffing pads that were used over the years for compounding clear coat in which I used a bit of base to pignment the top clear coat on various projects. If you have done this you know what I'm referring to. I use a spur frequently when in use to keep the pad clear of debris, however there is always some pigment transfer to the wool a spur won't take off. In the past I have just separated them into like colors and continued using.
    We mostly use a spur (below) while buffing and rarely we throw them in the washing machine or buy new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    We mostly use a spur (below) while buffing and rarely we throw them in the washing machine or buy new ones.

Len,

Do you use the discolored pigmented pads without discrimination? Any problems? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've just been hesitant to use them on lighter colors. Thanks Len

btw, if I were to put them in my wifes washing machine i'd spend the rest of my life with a high pitched voice

Len,

Do you use the discolored pigmented pads without discrimination? Any problems? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've just been hesitant to use them on lighter colors. Thanks Len

btw, if I were to put them in my wifes washing machine i'd spend the rest of my life with a high pitched voice
    I've never had any transfer of color problems but I'm mostly doing clear coat jobs, maybe single stage could be a problem.

If you put them in the washer just run water through it when you're finished with the pads. She'll never know.
    My washing machine is in the shop.

Default The Wife Will Know

The wife will know Ha ha I also have a washing machine in the shop. Also a stiff brush and a few drops of laundry cleaner , just rinse out good hang up to dry also do my foam pads this way.

yep, washing machine. i add the stuff for cleaning microfiber cloths too, it seems to help the detergent penetrate deeper. after doing a load i run the washing machine cleaner stuff to clear the machine and then run a load of work clothes as the sacrificial lamb.
    https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...RoCC2MQAvD_BwE
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    yep, washing machine. i add the stuff for cleaning microfiber cloths too, it seems to help the detergent penetrate deeper. after doing a load i run the washing machine cleaner stuff to clear the machine and then run a load of work clothes as the sacrificial lamb.
    Marler, I think you are trying to hide this from the wife...lol
    Good suggestion, thank you

Marler, I think you are trying to hide this from the wife...lol
    Good suggestion, thank you
    hey, what she doesn't know, right? when she's shopping i get the run of the place.
    b marler

I used an air gun to clean my wool buffing pads. It doesn't deep clean them but it cleans them well enough to keep buffing without having to change pads every few minutes. Part of that operation is to turn the speed up on the buffer to max speed when using the air gun. WEAR A GOOD MASK !

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V View Post
    I used an air gun to clean my wool buffing pads. It doesn't deep clean them but it cleans them well enough to keep buffing without having to change pads every few minutes. Part of that operation is to turn the speed up on the buffer to max speed when using the air gun. WEAR A GOOD MASK !
    Yes, even when using a spur you need to wear a good face mask.

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    Marler,

Got the Griots in yesterday and talked the wife into letting me use her washer (I had to promise a fancy dinner as well as a new washer if I trashed it). After masking up I used my spur and cleaned them the best I could before Presoaking overnight with warm water and Griots. Used addition Griots with detergent in machine to Wash the 13 wool pads that were a mixture of 8 and 9" both single and double sided. Damn these cleaned right up and a few of these pads were well over 15-20 years old. Thanks buddy for the suggestion, exactly what I wanted. I also ran a quick load of work clothes afterwards for insurance (another good suggestion), wife is happy. For drying I spun them up with the buffer and applied air as phil suggested. They are hanging out to finish drying.

Marler,

Got the Griots in yesterday and talked the wife into letting me use her washer (I had to promise a fancy dinner as well as a new washer if I trashed it). After masking up I used my spur and cleaned them the best I could before Presoaking overnight with warm water and Griots. Used addition Griots with detergent in machine to Wash the 13 wool pads that were a mixture of 8 and 9" both single and double sided. Damn these cleaned right up and a few of these pads were well over 15-20 years old. Thanks buddy for the suggestion, exactly what I wanted. I also ran a quick load of work clothes afterwards for insurance (another good suggestion), wife is happy. For drying I spun them up with the buffer and applied air as phil suggested. They are hanging out to finish drying.
    so glad you tried it and had good results. i'm glad you told me afterwards though. the promise of a new washer is a lot of pressure...
    i think that cleaner has a way of really breaking up the deposits that detergent alone can't do. it worked so good on my detailing cloths that i tried it on the wool pads.
    where'd you go for dinner?
    b marler