TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: devilbiss FLG670 vs FLG671

Default devilbiss FLG670 vs FLG671

looking in canada for a devilbiss FLG670 and came across the FLG671 kit locally, is the plastic cup a no-go for shooting 2K clear? (sherwin williams ATX line)
    Just a hobby gun getting used for small projects, a sidecar in this case, and other auto projects.
    THE cheap chinese gun didn't atomize the clear worth a damn, and I have to repaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullyboy View Post
    looking in canada for a devilbiss FLG670 and came across the FLG671 kit locally, is the plastic cup a no-go for shooting 2K clear? (sherwin williams ATX line)
    Just a hobby gun getting used for small projects, a sidecar in this case, and other auto projects.
    THE cheap chinese gun didn't atomize the clear worth a damn, and I have to repaint.
    I'm not familiar with the 671 but, if it's a DeVilbiss, the plastic cup should work fine for clear.

looks the same, just the acetal cup, but they list it as the waterborne kit

803558 FLG-670 FinishLine Solvent-Based Value Kit (HVLP 1.3, 1.5, 1.8) 900 cc Aluminum cup, Solvent base coats, top coats, and light primers

803559 FLG-671 FinishLine Waterborne Value Kit (HVLP 1.3, 1.5, 1.8) 20 oz. Acetal cup, Waterborne base coats, top coats, and light primers

looks the same, just the acetal cup, but they list it as the waterborne kit

803558 FLG-670 FinishLine Solvent-Based Value Kit (HVLP 1.3, 1.5, 1.8) 900 cc Aluminum cup, Solvent base coats, top coats, and light primers

803559 FLG-671 FinishLine Waterborne Value Kit (HVLP 1.3, 1.5, 1.8) 20 oz. Acetal cup, Waterborne base coats, top coats, and light primers
    Unless you are shooting waterborne I wouldn't use it. I don't shoot waterborne products but I've little doubt there is a reason tips and guns are specific for that product. I do use the FLG 670 for shooting most of my solvent primer (occasionally use a Sata 2000) and love it. If it were me I would keep looking.

this is where doing test spray out cards comes in handy. it's worth it to me when using a new gun, or new paint product, to sacrifice a small amount of product to test the way it lays down. it saves paint and time as opposed to having to sand and repaint the whole project. you can try various pressures and gun settings to find the best solution. just put notes on the back of the cards so you know how to set up next time. i bet you could have come up with a setting that would have been acceptable enough to do a wet sand and buff.
    b marler

I'm glad I bought the finish line gun, it's really nice for a guy doing stuff in the garage, and the anodized body is much easier to clean up.

My biggest snag now is shooting the clear, I end up with runs on seams and edges. I know I need to practice more but getting the air setting close would probably help a lot.
    I looks okay when I shoot a flat wood panel, but the actual sidecar I'm painting has not faired so well.

the Sherwin williams finish 1 clear has HVLP 8 - 10 psi , Conventional 50 60 psi on the product sheet
    https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPD...o=FC720&lang=2

but all the youtube Devilbiss finishline video reviews I've seen show guys at 20psi, or higher shooting clears with the finishline gun.
    So do you follow the product sheet as a starting point? or what?

Thanks
    Mark

I'm glad I bought the finish line gun, it's really nice for a guy doing stuff in the garage, and the anodized body is much easier to clean up.

My biggest snag now is shooting the clear, I end up with runs on seams and edges. I know I need to practice more but getting the air setting close would probably help a lot.
    I looks okay when I shoot a flat wood panel, but the actual sidecar I'm painting has not faired so well.

the Sherwin williams finish 1 clear has HVLP 8 - 10 psi , Conventional 50 60 psi on the product sheet
    https://www.paintdocs.com/docs/webPD...o=FC720&lang=2

but all the youtube Devilbiss finishline video reviews I've seen show guys at 20psi, or higher shooting clears with the finishline gun.
    So do you follow the product sheet as a starting point? or what?

Thanks
    Mark
    they mean 8-10 psi at the air cap, not the inlet. you don't have a way to measure at the air cap so ignore that. 10 psi at the cap usually equals 28-30 at the inlet.
    i don't know why they just don't say that in the instructions...
    b marler

they mean 8-10 psi at the air cap, not the inlet. you don't have a way to measure at the air cap so ignore that. 10 psi at the cap usually equals 28-30 at the inlet.
    i don't know why they just don't say that in the instructions...
    Well, that makes more sense then.... I saw a couple posts on here about that, and forgot when I was in the garage.
    I think things will go much smoother now

Thanks
    Mark

http://https://www.instagram.com/p/CNfw9UHM51w/?igshid=o9j6q9rj7gk

Well that worked out much better with the air pressure set higher, no drips or runs. I shot the orange 2 coats, then mixed the orange and clear 50/50 with a little gold ghost pearl and then clear with the gold ghost

Thanks for the help on this, I just need more practice with the gun and getting comfortable with it

http://https://www.instagram.com/p/CNfw9UHM51w/?igshid=o9j6q9rj7gk

Well that worked out much better with the air pressure set higher, no drips or runs. I shot the orange 2 coats, then mixed the orange and clear 50/50 with a little gold ghost pearl and then clear with the gold ghost

Thanks for the help on this, I just need more practice with the gun and getting comfortable with it
    There you go, much better.
    b marler