TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: flexible sander for boat hull

got up this morning with every intention of sanding and buffing out the orange peel. strike one was when I stopped at the autobody / paint supply store in on my way to the boatyard. I was planning on sanding with 1000, 1500 and 2000 - then over to compound. They had some 800, and some 1500 -- out of the rest. Thought I would give it a go with what they had -- sanding a section of the transom which will be under a ladder once I reassemble. strike two was when my junk buffer called it quits 10 minutes into the job. So didn't really work out; got it nice and flat, but doesn't shine or have nearly as much depth as the orange peeled sections. Unfortunately I have five other things to be done before they launch the boat, hopefully by next weekend, so this will be a season of orange peel. It looks pretty good though, ten thousand times better than when I started ( see below). I had a ton of paint left over, and alexseal support tells me it will last three years -- so probably next spring I'll sand the top off, put a fresh coat on, and try again to get it shined up.

thanks for all of your help this year; talk to you in April or so when I start again!

20210320_141608.jpg
    Last edited by Andyk; 05-22-2021 at 08:44 PM.