TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Help with primer

Hybrid View

Default Help with primer

Applying Durabak to the inside of a truck bed. I have some bare metal that they say should be treated with a primer that is compatible with moisture-cured polyurethanes.

Any suggestions ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicalcats View Post
    Applying Durabak to the inside of a truck bed. I have some bare metal that they say should be treated with a primer that is compatible with moisture-cured polyurethanes.

Any suggestions ?
    any 2k urethane primer will do. an epoxy primer will also be ok. if you don't have a spray gun you can by it in a special aerosol can.
    b marler

What grit do you guys typically sand bare metal to before applying 2k epoxy?
    Similarly what grit would you sand filler areas to before epoxy?

I want to be sure itís gonna stick but not have scratches telegraphing through.

Quote Originally Posted by SFLAutoSurf View Post
    What grit do you guys typically sand bare metal to before applying 2k epoxy?
    Similarly what grit would you sand filler areas to before epoxy?

I want to be sure itís gonna stick but not have scratches telegraphing through.
    if you're doing bedliner like the op you could use just about any grit you want.
    if you're doing the exterior of the car, i usually do 180 for metal, 220 on filler. i don't worry about scratch marks coming through the epoxy. i shoot epoxy and immediately follow it with filler primer with the intent of blocking out whatever scratch marks remain.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    if you're doing bedliner like the op you could use just about any grit you want.
    if you're doing the exterior of the car, i usually do 180 for metal, 220 on filler. i don't worry about scratch marks coming through the epoxy. i shoot epoxy and immediately follow it with filler primer with the intent of blocking out whatever scratch marks remain.
    No bedliner, just topcoat.. I just posted it here bc the title was primer help. I read somewhere to sand the metal waaaaay down to like 600 but that sounded crazy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SFLAutoSurf View Post
    No bedliner, just topcoat.. I just posted it here bc the title was primer help. I read somewhere to sand the metal waaaaay down to like 600 but that sounded crazy to me.
    nobody takes metal to 600 for primer. you want some tooth to the surface for good mechanical bond.
    b marler