TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Painting candy paint for the first time

Default Painting candy paint for the first time

My cousin wants his 55 Ford pickup painted with candy paint. I have personally never shot candy paint and I'm looking for advice. I have read up on it and it seems pretty straight forward, but figured I would check with those who are more experienced. It's going candy apple red.

What concerns should I be worried about? Can I jam and paint the pickup as a whole, or will I have issues with the jammed areas matching the painted exterior. I'm not sure I have room to set the bed up in the booth with the pickup and all the parts on separate stands. I also need to paint the inside of the cab. What amount of paint will I need, I'm thinking two gallons?

Thanks in advance!

I have sprayed candy, but never to the extent of what you are doing here. Here's what I would do. I would paint as much of the truck at the same time, as I could. That way you can walk the candy application the full length of the truck. Could the bed be set back and up off the frame some so you have access to the rear of cab and front of bed, but not taking up as much space as it sitting off by itself?
    Pete's Ponies
    Mustang RUSToration & Performance

Quote Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
    I have sprayed candy, but never to the extent of what you are doing here. Here's what I would do. I would paint as much of the truck at the same time, as I could. That way you can walk the candy application the full length of the truck. Could the bed be set back and up off the frame some so you have access to the rear of cab and front of bed, but not taking up as much space as it sitting off by itself?
    That's what I was thinking on the bed and cab. Jam all the panels, hang them and set the bed back a couple feet. I will just have to sand the overspray back off the edge of the panels and then use my round foam tape and hopefully it won't show any change in color.

Quote Originally Posted by kcode View Post
    That's what I was thinking on the bed and cab. Jam all the panels, hang them and set the bed back a couple feet. I will just have to sand the overspray back off the edge of the panels and then use my round foam tape and hopefully it won't show any change in color.
    Just remember that the candy is a translucent and needs to be applied evenly. So you want the same number of coats on everything and you don't want any overlap between panels.

When spraying most paint colors you can spray the fender then the door etc. But when spraying a translucent like candy or pearl color you need to spray the entire side in one motion, usually by walking while you spray.

And just as another option . . there are some 2 stage paint of there today that look like Candoes . .have the three stage look. But being a true two stage, they spray like any other BC/CC.
    Pete's Ponies
    Mustang RUSToration & Performance

Quote Originally Posted by PetesPonies View Post
    And just as another option . . there are some 2 stage paint of there today that look like Candoes . .have the three stage look. But being a true two stage, they spray like any other BC/CC.
    Hey Pete, what other information do you have on this? Brand? I'm going to do a spray out for them probably next week. If I can show them how it looks, maybe it will be good enough. Thanks