TheCoatingStore.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Show car quality paint for my 66 Chevelle SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Wow, documentation for a true 138 coupe with the high hp solid lifter cam! I had a 67' exactly the same (375 hp solid lift) only with a 4:88 rear posi. Just like you I would love to have that car back.
    My car came with 4:10 rear gears as an option. ( that was lowest gear ratio you could get from the factory ) About a year after, I had the rear gears changed to 4:88. The car sounded like it was going to blow up at 60MPH. ( it was tacking around 3800 RPM in fourth ) If I had it to do over, I would have had 4:56 gears instead. The car ran like a scalded dog.

Yes, it would nice to have the car back, but if I had it to do over, I would not have ordered a red car and I would not have ordered a black vinyl top. Marina Blue was very nice, but everybody had that color. The Artesian Turquoise was a very nice mint green color. Aztec Bronze was also nice, but everyone that I saw, seemed to have the beige looking interior.

LS6

Quote Originally Posted by LS6 View Post
    Sorry to wander away from the painting information, but I have been looking for the original documents from my first NEW car. I have finally found what I was looking for.
    The original window sticker ( what's left ) and part of my original order form related to my 1966 SS 396 / 375 ( 4:10 posi and close ratio 4 speed transmission ) Chevelle.
    I had a few other used cars before this one, but the Chevelle was my first new vehicle. It took 6 weeks to get it, from the time the order was placed during the first week of February in 1966. The upgraded high performance engine cost an extra $237.00 over the stock one.

I wish I still had it, but who knew?

LS6
    Wow, that is very cool!!

Had a high school buddy with the El Camino version of your car in black. Beautiful vehicle, very hard to keep the rear wheels from breaking loose!

Couldn’t drive that thing anywhere without leaving a pile of rubber behind!

LS6, with that documentation in hand, maybe you could track down the car today and surprise the owner by passing on the documents. Just imagine how awesome that would be, out of nowhere someone presents to you the original purchase documents of your pride & joy!

Hopefully, the car found its way into the hands of a real Chevelle enthusiast.

Quote Originally Posted by S-C View Post
    Wow, that is very cool!!

Had a high school buddy with the El Camino version of your car in black. Beautiful vehicle, very hard to keep the rear wheels from breaking loose!

Couldn’t drive that thing anywhere without leaving a pile of rubber behind!

LS6, with that documentation in hand, maybe you could track down the car today and surprise the owner by passing on the documents. Just imagine how awesome that would be, out of nowhere someone presents to you the original purchase documents of your pride & joy!

Hopefully, the car found its way into the hands of a real Chevelle enthusiast.
    Had a high school buddy with the El Camino version of your car in black. Beautiful vehicle, very hard to keep the rear wheels from breaking loose.
    Yeah, those red line " tiger paw " tires weren't much help. Atlas Bucrons were better, but they wore out quickly. At a certain point in time, I rode around with either Goodyear or Mickey Thompson wrinkle slicks much of the time. ( I had sheet metal screws along the outside edge of the tires and drilled into the wheels )

LS6

Default AND !!!

Quote Originally Posted by LS6 View Post
    My car came with 4:10 rear gears as an option. ( that was lowest gear ratio you could get from the factory ) About a year after, I had the rear gears changed to 4:88. The car sounded like it was going to blow up at 60MPH. ( it was tacking around 3800 RPM in fourth ) If I had it to do over, I would have had 4:56 gears instead. The car ran like a scalded dog.

Yes, it would nice to have the car back, but if I had it to do over, I would not have ordered a red car and I would not have ordered a black vinyl top. Marina Blue was very nice, but everybody had that color. The Artesian Turquoise was a very nice mint green color. Aztec Bronze was also nice, but everyone that I saw, seemed to have the beige looking interior.

LS6
    I have a buddy who ordered nearly the same as you did. He knew (like you) what he was doing. His is gold with black top and bucket interior and he still has it!!!!! He messed with it when he got it after a couple weeks and I know he changed the cam and what else he would never say but was that thing quick!

Hey, big SHOUT OUT to YOU for knowing what you were doing at the time and for saving those all important papers. AMAZING. We lived in a great time and you knew what to do with the SOLID LIFTERS = big PLUS!

Henry

I wanted to come back and give an update on the paint search for the true Marina Blue for my 66 Chevelle SS. After going round and round with the PPG supplier, we finally were able to match the paint on the original 1966 Ditzler paint chip sheet. For anyone else that would be interested in this, the PPG number was 16510 Bright Blue Poly.

And per @ronf advise I was able to get it in the DBC line. $700 wasn't too bad. I also got the DCU2021 Clear and DAS3025 sealer.

I know it's been more than a year but that time has been spent panel aligning, gapping, block sanding and more block sanding.

I'm planning on renting a booth with a downdraft in about a month. Never painted in a real booth before, only in my garage.

Looking forward to getting this in paint. Thanks everyone for all your help so far.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by chopperroxie View Post
    I wanted to come back and give an update on the paint search for the true Marina Blue for my 66 Chevelle SS. After going round and round with the PPG supplier, we finally were able to match the paint on the original 1966 Ditzler paint chip sheet. For anyone else that would be interested in this, the PPG number was 16510 Bright Blue Poly.

And per @ronf advise I was able to get it in the DBC line. $700 wasn't too bad. I also got the DCU2021 Clear and DAS3025 sealer.

I know it's been more than a year but that time has been spent panel aligning, gapping, block sanding and more block sanding.

I'm planning on renting a booth with a downdraft in about a month. Never painted in a real booth before, only in my garage.

Looking forward to getting this in paint. Thanks everyone for all your help so far.

Corey

Painting in a booth is going to spoil you, seriously you will enjoy the experience. On the DAS sealer, be glad you were able to obtained it as suppliers are out. Was at my supplier (English Color) yesterday and doesn't know when he is able to get it. He stated one of the chemicals used to make the sealer is in short supply. I buy the PPG DAS sealer and the PPG DPLF epoxy by the case and he is completely out of both in all shade variances, i.e. DP48, 50, and 90LF as well as the DAS 3021, 25 and 27 sealer. I've used the same jobber for over 30 years and have never experienced this problem before. Really felt bad for him as he is struggling to get PPG product. I'm hoping Len reads this thread and can give some insight as I'm curious to see if he is experiencing supply problems as well both in his shop and in his store.

Painting in a booth is going to spoil you, seriously you will enjoy the experience. On the DAS sealer, be glad you were able to obtained it as suppliers are out. Was at my supplier (English Color) yesterday and doesn't know when he is able to get it. He stated one of the chemicals used to make the sealer is in short supply. I buy the PPG DAS sealer and the PPG DPLF epoxy by the case and he is completely out of both in all shade variances, i.e. DP48, 50, and 90LF as well as the DAS 3021, 25 and 27 sealer. I've used the same jobber for over 30 years and have never experienced this problem before. Really felt bad for him as he is struggling to get PPG product. I'm hoping Len reads this thread and can give some insight as I'm curious to see if he is experiencing supply problems as well both in his shop and in his store.
    I'm dealing with several large warehouses and each warehouse has several large locations around the country, when one is out I search another until I find what I need. I don't use much PPG, I'm mostly a BASF user and I haven't found any supply problems yet.

I was just talking to a friend who told me that he gets supplies from China and the ships that were stuck off the California coast put him out of business for several months but he's starting to get it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    I'm dealing with several large warehouses and each warehouse has several large locations around the country, when one is out I search another until I find what I need. I don't use much PPG, I'm mostly a BASF user and I haven't found any supply problems yet.

I was just talking to a friend who told me that he gets supplies from China and the ships that were stuck off the California coast put him out of business for several months but he's starting to get it back together.
    Len,

yep supplier mentioned those China shipping problems as well. One of his biggest concerns was with the Canada OTR shipping strike. Evidently PPG gets quite a bit material from Canada. I am sick of this political bull shit that is hurting the working man/woman and our suppliers. Thanks for your info and I am sorry your friend has experienced these problems as well. Sad when a person is just trying to make a living and is affected by global politics.

Len,

yep supplier mentioned those China shipping problems as well. One of his biggest concerns was with the Canada OTR shipping strike. Evidently PPG gets quite a bit material from Canada. I am sick of this political bull shit that is hurting the working man/woman and our suppliers. Thanks for your info and I am sorry your friend has experienced these problems as well. Sad when a person is just trying to make a living and is affected by global politics.
    buddy you got that right. i wish everyone would just settle down. it's tough enough to make a living right?

so glad corey got the paint figured out for this project, i am hoping he'll share some pictures when it's done. i sure wish i'd kept all my old chip binders from when i had my body shop but i never thought i'd want or need them again.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    buddy you got that right. i wish everyone would just settle down. it's tough enough to make a living right?

so glad corey got the paint figured out for this project, i am hoping he'll share some pictures when it's done. i sure wish i'd kept all my old chip binders from when i had my body shop but i never thought i'd want or need them again.

Yeah, I'm glad I got ahold of that paint chip sheet since the shop didn't know exactly where to start, and I didn't have any part of this chevelle left with the original color on it.
    I will certainly post pics when I'm done. I'm still obsessing over the body work and getting it prepped but I'm thinking end of April for the shoot.
    Thanks guys.