TheCoatingStore.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best overall polish for buffing and polishing

The reason you can see those imperfections is because of the light being reflected and my guess is that there may be a lot more imperfections in other areas.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintEmIfYouGotEm View Post
    Sure looks like there are imperfections to me too.

I am definitely not what anyone would call an "industry professional", nor am I at all up to date on the latest methods and materials that modern paint shops use, especially high volume ones.. but I definitely question the idea that "nobody uses a rotary polisher any more". If not a rotary polisher, what are they using? Again, I am genuinely curious about this, as I would want to know if there's a superior method for polishing paint. I personally am not aware of one. But if I'm mistaken, I wish to be educated. Seems to me that all the paint and body supply shops, auto parts stores, Summit Racing, etc. all have a large supply of pads and other materials for rotary polishers. Who are they selling these products to if nobody is using them?

I paint 2-3 cars a year and am just finishing one in the next couple odd weeks. I'll be using a rotary polisher on it, just as I have with every previous paint job I've done.
    that's just style. he's a detailing guy with a ton of throughput. he does what's currently fashionable, quick, and has a lot of eye candy. despite what he says, body shops are still using rotary machines to do paint corrections. detail shops probably lean more toward dual action as they're not doing as much deep correction. (cut and buff)
    high output detail shops are constantly changing the products they use. i contacted style about the ceramic coatings a while back, he was happy to explain the process. i don't think it's for everyone, but it's an amazing product.
    bottom line, keep the rotary.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    that's just style. he's a detailing guy with a ton of throughput. he does what's currently fashionable, quick, and has a lot of eye candy. despite what he says, body shops are still using rotary machines to do paint corrections. detail shops probably lean more toward dual action as they're not doing as much deep correction. (cut and buff)
    high output detail shops are constantly changing the products they use. i contacted style about the ceramic coatings a while back, he was happy to explain the process. i don't think it's for everyone, but it's an amazing product.
    That's what I was thinking. I wasted some money and time years ago on a DA polisher and found that it just wasn't up to the task for anything other than light detailing. Completely useless for any kind of sanding and polishing. I learned the hard way that quality sanding and polishing after paint takes real time, and must be budgeted into the estimated cost of a paint job. It took me a while to learn that no matter what, I'm going to have many additional hours into sanding and polishing. Sometimes a whole week or more. I screwed myself on a few jobs before it got through my thick skull that this is just how it is, and there's no getting around it!

Sorry haven't been on much busy with graphic design stuff plus all my other fun Hobby's, hell 30 mins ago sprayed a few panels on a blazer with the old turbine, anyways tomorrow I'll post some pics of my polishers etc I have a little dust in what I sprayed so I'll be sanding with 2000 wet then 3 or 5k wet then compound with one pad and it will come out like glass I'll post some pics as I go . As far as ceramic coatings I do a couple a week with tickets of 1300 to 6500 each..

Here's an old one but gives you an idea..

Rpt https://imgur.com/a/wBiRacr

Raptor https://imgur.com/a/S7jqZ0L

Here's one from the other day🤔

https://www.facebook.com/20570555543...dPavl/?app=fbl