TheCoatingStore.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Color sanding grit progression?

Quote Originally Posted by ghackett1 View Post
    Years ago I would dry sand the urethane clear coat with a 3/32 throw little orbital sander and 1200, 1500, 2000, then buff with a wool pad then polish with a wool pad. Everything always turned out great. My question is I see many are now wet sanding clear and using these foam pads to cut then then polish. Can I still do it the old way😳?
    Len used to sell me Sure Finish now I hear thatís not available so what do I use? Iím ready to paint so please let me know. As always thank you for your responses.
    I agree with bmarler that if the dry works for you then you could continue with it but I find that dry sanding tends to pick up dust nibs and scratch the surface with them and also the dry paper tends to create particles on the paper that can create scratches or hamper the paper from sanding properly. We use wet sanding paper like 3M's Trizact and keep the surface flooded using a pump sprayer while we sand.

The Wizard's Mystic Cut works great, that's all we use these days.

Default Clean Up

Len how is the Wizards compound clean up afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by tommie.b View Post
    Len how is the Wizards compound clean up afterwards?
    Like most compounds if you let it dry on the surface it can be hard to clean up but if you wipe it off while you're buffing it comes right off.