TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: rattle can compatibility

Default rattle can compatibility

I was working on re-finishing my steering column. Everything was going fine. I put a little bondo on it, shot it with U-pol High Five and sanded it down with 400.

It all looked great, so I grabbed my can of (incorrect product) and sprayed it black. 2 light coats, 1 wet coat and it looks all nice and gloss black.

So it is all pretty and shiny black, but unfortunately in my haste, I picked up Duplicolor high heat engine paint DE1613 Gloss black rather than the can of SEM Satin Trim Black.

I'm so mad at myself.

Do you guys have any idea if I can just scuff this engine color and top it with the TRim Black, or do I need to sand all that high heat engine paint off again?

Or just hit it with a another coat of high 5, sand and put the Trim black, not the Duplicolor.

The entire interior metal of the car will be painted with the Trim Black Satin, other than the upper dash, so I can't just leave it because the gloss will just look wrong.

Suggestions welcomed.

I think it should be ok just to shoot the trim black. Be sure that the existing finish is good and dry then scuff and apply a couple of light coats and if it doesn't react badly then let it dry and go over it with a heavier coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    I was working on re-finishing my steering column. Everything was going fine. I put a little bondo on it, shot it with U-pol High Five and sanded it down with 400.

It all looked great, so I grabbed my can of (incorrect product) and sprayed it black. 2 light coats, 1 wet coat and it looks all nice and gloss black.

So it is all pretty and shiny black, but unfortunately in my haste, I picked up Duplicolor high heat engine paint DE1613 Gloss black rather than the can of SEM Satin Trim Black.

I'm so mad at myself.

Do you guys have any idea if I can just scuff this engine color and top it with the TRim Black, or do I need to sand all that high heat engine paint off again?

Or just hit it with a another coat of high 5, sand and put the Trim black, not the Duplicolor.

The entire interior metal of the car will be painted with the Trim Black Satin, other than the upper dash, so I can't just leave it because the gloss will just look wrong.

Suggestions welcomed.
    Some high heat rattle can paint requires the paint/object has to get very hot before the paint cures/dries. In other words the paint never dries until it gets very hot. I personally would wash that high heat paint off with lacquer thinner or urethane reducer just to make sure no negative effect show up later.

Well, from what I have heard and read, duplicolor specifically states to wait 7 days for the paint to cure before repainting unless you recoat within 1 hour.

So I will let this sit for a week, scuff it up a bit and trim black it then. After a trial in a non-visual area.

phil makes a good point. you might want to hit that with a heat gun or infrared light to set the paint if you're not going to take it off.
    whenever i use rattle can stuff i notice that the coating seems "thick" if i add more coats later. i'm always disappointed how it looks and end up sanding it back down and starting over.
    b marler

I'm concerned with heat because there is body filler on this column where it was converted from column to floor shift. If there is one thing I have learned is that bondo and heat are not friends.

I have a heat gun and an thermometer gun to check temp, but not sure what is ok and what is too hot.

If there is one thing I have learned is that bondo and heat are not friends.
    Really? I use my heat lamp to cure body filler all the time, what's the problem?

I'm concerned with heat because there is body filler on this column where it was converted from column to floor shift. If there is one thing I have learned is that bondo and heat are not friends.

I have a heat gun and an thermometer gun to check temp, but not sure what is ok and what is too hot.
    We never get it too hot to touch but we use a heat lamp every day to help the fillers to harden more quickly or to help paint to dry/harden. This lamp is probably the most used tool in the shop during the cold weather months. It can even keep the workers warm if needed.

Dupli-Color DE1613 Engine Enamel contains a Ceramic additive. Most ceramic coatings I've used normally requires 250-400 degrees to fully cure out using ramped up temperature stages. I've baked exhaust parts with the Rustoleum brand high heat which calls for temps ramped up to 400 degrees (was not impressed with Rustoleum). I would be really hard pressed to leave that product on there if it were mine.

I called and talked to the Duplicolor people. They said that the VHT paint does need a heat cure, but the Duplicolor Ceramic engine paint doesn't.

He told me to let it sit for a week and then scuff and top coat should be no problem.

I shall see.

I also got an email from the Trim Black guys, and they said it would probably be fine, just to do a sample test spot first.
    Last edited by Houndogforever; 01-06-2020 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Dupli-Color DE1613 Engine Enamel contains a Ceramic additive. Most ceramic coatings I've used normally requires 250-400 degrees to fully cure out using ramped up temperature stages. I've baked exhaust parts with the Rustoleum brand high heat which calls for temps ramped up to 400 degrees (was not impressed with Rustoleum). I would be really hard pressed to leave that product on there if it were mine.
    have you tried cerakote products for exhaust work? the best stuff must be oven cured and works really well. they used to sell an insulating coating for the inside of the pipes but i don't see it on the website any more. they say it has to be applied by a certified applicator but i was able to buy it through my company without problem.
    b marler

Quote Originally Posted by bmarler View Post
    have you tried cerakote products for exhaust work? the best stuff must be oven cured and works really well. they used to sell an insulating coating for the inside of the pipes but i don't see it on the website any more. they say it has to be applied by a certified applicator but i was able to buy it through my company without problem.
    bmarler,

Yes, I found out about cerakote around a year or two ago and have been using it ever since for exhaust systems. As I build my own exhaust systems from universal kits I'm able to get the sections of pipe into my powder coat oven to bake. The only cerakote product I have used is their baked on Glacier Chrome which is good for something like 1500-2000 degrees (don't quote me on this temp but it is a high temp coating made for exhaust systems). What I would like to try is the cerakote air dry product for exhausts that is also a high temp coating.