TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Are they using lead in paints again?

Default Are they using lead in paints again?

As far as I've always been told, they stopped using lead in paints before I was even born. I have come across lead joints and lead repairs, but never seen any in paint. We recently decided to try out the MartinSenour/Napa base coats. Well, after a few shots I was reading the can and notice lead and lead chromate warnings all over it. It states very clearly this product contains lead. Am I just out of the loop or is this new thing?

PainterDave Guest

lead has remained in paint this whole time yes.

PPG plans to remove all lead based toners by 2020.

Interesting. I feel pretty dumb now. I just haven't seen a lead warning on a can in years, other than some dupont cans that said "may contain lead", and the others I have seen looked ancient.

PainterDave Guest

the warnings are when you select formulas. i cant speak for other paint companys i just know PPG plan.

Valspar and DeBeer i believe are both lead free now

Quote Originally Posted by L&LRestoration View Post
    As far as I've always been told, they stopped using lead in paints before I was even born. I have come across lead joints and lead repairs, but never seen any in paint. We recently decided to try out the MartinSenour/Napa base coats. Well, after a few shots I was reading the can and notice lead and lead chromate warnings all over it. It states very clearly this product contains lead. Am I just out of the loop or is this new thing? https://jeepequipment.com/best-kinet...y-rope-review/
    Although lead has been banned from household paints in the United States since 1978, paint used in road markings may still contain it. Alternatives such as water-based, lead-free traffic paint are readily available, and many states and federal agencies have changed their purchasing contracts to buy these instead.

Quote Originally Posted by robertcladner60 View Post
    Although lead has been banned from household paints in the United States since 1978, paint used in road markings may still contain it. Alternatives such as water-based, lead-free traffic paint are readily available, and many states and federal agencies have changed their purchasing contracts to buy these instead.
    When they first removed lead from automotive paint there were problems with coverage. I noticed this problem mainly in yellow colors but the manufacturers seemed to get it figured out since the coverage is a lot better more recently.