TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: help w logo (sorry I searched too!)

Default help w logo (sorry I searched too!)

Hi

I hope that this hasn't been discussed many times but search didn't yield much. I'm buying a new honda pilot and want to have my company logo on it. In the past I've always gone to my vinyl sign guy and had him cut out a stick on sign which I've put on a window. Anyway, with this new vehicle I want to have him create a vinyl negative of my logo and then paint onto it in a contrasting BC colour, peel the logo off then clear coat. I'm thinking this should be a properly prep (clean, scuff, apply logo, BC, remove logo, clean) and then apply clear over. Is this sensible? I've never done a logo or 2 tone so I'm not 100% sure if my thinking is correct.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cameron

why waste time and money doing that?? look into vehicle wraps.Looks close to paint and youcan remove it when you go to sell you vehicle and less work to do it

this is just my preference

I have looked at the wraps but this time (I've always done vinyl) I'd like something smaller. My company logo is about 8" square and I'd like to put it on the rear of the SUV, likely on the fender or rear door. I picture it a few shades darker than the OEM metallic BC so it's not an "in your face" ad by any means. I'm thinking subtle but classy. (I'm also thinking nobody else has this and I think I can do it nicely )

There is specific material used for this purpose. The sign shop can cut and pick the material so that it's ready for you to position on the car and mask around it. I've done this several times and it comes out great. I've done it with both single stage and base/clear and it works well. If you need any of the material let me know because I purchased an entire roll and I'll sell you whatever length you want.

thanks Len! I knew you'd have an answer for this! I'll contact my local sign guy and find out how much material he'll need for the logos I want to cut out and phone/email you.

Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by 200horse View Post
    why waste time and money doing that?? look into vehicle wraps.Looks close to paint and youcan remove it when you go to sell you vehicle and less work to do it

this is just my preference
    Yea great idea a vehicle wrap that lasts 2 or 3 years and then fades cracks and etches your paint so you end up repainting it anyways..

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Yea great idea a vehicle wrap that lasts 2 or 3 years and then fades cracks and etches your paint so you end up repainting it anyways..
    The OP was about having a stencil cut then painting on a logo not applying a vinyl sticker. Also if it was a sticker they hold up better if applied on a vertical surface and not on a horizontal surface where the sun does more damage to it. Also in southern locations vinyl ages more quickly but can last longer if clear coated with a good UV resistant clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    The OP was about having a stencil cut then painting on a logo not applying a vinyl sticker. Also if it was a sticker they hold up better if applied on a vertical surface and not on a horizontal surface where the sun does more damage to it. Also in southern locations vinyl ages more quickly but can last longer if clear coated with a good UV resistant clear.
    Right but then it was recommended that he put vinyl instead and now your saying to clear the vinyl, why not just paint it in the first place makes more sense tbh...