PDA

View Full Version : Full Face vs Hood - fresh air supplied

TheCoatingStore.com

Slackdaddy
02-24-2020, 08:37 PM
small heated slab, insulated/tight 24x32' shop
I have a collection of P100 dust masks, a full face 3M that I use organic cartridges with (stored in zip lock baggy.
This is my hobby shop that I spend 4-8 hours a week in, maybe the full weekend in a blue moon.
I am typ welding on, sanding, priming my jeep,, or other od poject involving rattle cans of paint.

I am going to get a fresh air setup,, but cant decide on a full face mask or a hood.
My full face 3M has sealed good on my very close cut "goat"

I would make a perm set up with thru the wall, and the hose coiled up on a hose rack ready to go with a flip of a switch.
95% would be 5-10 min spraying of components, with maybe a full auto paint job 1-2 times a year.
also using the hose for fresh air in my welders helmet.

Is the hood as convenient as a mask for quick spays?

Len
02-24-2020, 08:59 PM
small heated slab, insulated/tight 24x32' shop
I have a collection of P100 dust masks, a full face 3M that I use organic cartridges with (stored in zip lock baggy.
This is my hobby shop that I spend 4-8 hours a week in, maybe the full weekend in a blue moon.
I am typ welding on, sanding, priming my jeep,, or other od poject involving rattle cans of paint.

I am going to get a fresh air setup,, but cant decide on a full face mask or a hood.
My full face 3M has sealed good on my very close cut "goat"

I would make a perm set up with thru the wall, and the hose coiled up on a hose rack ready to go with a flip of a switch.
95% would be 5-10 min spraying of components, with maybe a full auto paint job 1-2 times a year.
also using the hose for fresh air in my welders helmet.

Is the hood as convenient as a mask for quick spays?

I'm a hood fan myself, the full face mask is more expensive and has the hose in front while the hood has the hose in back of you and is very comfortable to wear for long periods of time. And when the hood gets dirty and you want a new one it's cheap to replace. Check out the Hobbyair systems linked below.

http://autobodystore.net/mm5/graphics/00000001/hobbyair2.jpg
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ABS&Category_Code=HP)

Dave_demented
05-11-2020, 05:49 AM
Personally I like the hood as well, I donít like having a hose or anything in front of me that I risk bumping into what Iím painting with, I also donít like having a mask on my face like that. The hood also helps keep paint out of your hair....

Iíve got the hobby air setup lens got for sale I bought forever ago and itís still been working fantastic

tbm3fan
05-12-2020, 02:23 PM
I use a hood also and have for the last 14 years. Just change out the replaceable face shield cover.

KenZ
05-14-2020, 01:10 PM
I recently started using the Hobbyaire hood system I bought from Len. Overall I like it, the fact that the hose comes in the back and the fresh cool air around my face being the best points.
What I struggle with is glare. But that would probably be an issue with any type of clear shielding so I don't blame it on the hood specifically.
I still think I made the right choice. Thanks Len, for pointing me toward it. :-)