PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to full face respirator

TheCoatingStore.com

12steps
10-21-2015, 10:06 AM
Hi,

Ive been painting 1k in my garage for about a year and using a 3m filter mask. Everything here in NZ tends to be very expensive and the air fed respirators Ive looked at cost over $1000.

Dont laugh but has anyone used a full face mask fed by a scuba tank instead of a seperate filtration system?

Henry
10-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Hi,

Ive been painting 1k in my garage for about a year and using a 3m filter mask. Everything here in NZ tends to be very expensive and the air fed respirators Ive looked at cost over $1000.

Dont laugh but has anyone used a full face mask fed by a scuba tank instead of a seperate filtration system?

A buddy did it for himself back in the '80s.

Henry

Mike S
04-23-2016, 09:24 AM
I'm a hobbyist so as much as I would like to get a good pressurized respirator I don't have the funds to do so. So I try to make the best of what I have. I figure the best we can do is to minimize skin and airway exposure to the VOC's so I'll wear a painters jump suit to cover my clothes and head (also foot covering just to keep bringing in outside crud), a pull over disposable painters hood that covers everything except my face, a 3M half face respirator (always with new organic vapor P100 cartridges), for my eyes I use swimmers goggles with seals so those should keep my eyes moisture from absorbing any VOC's, and for exposed cheek skin I use a thin coating of Vaseline (got that idea from an old school painter who even used it on some metal trim to protect from paint). I don't have a beard so I'll actually shave before painting so as to ensure a good seal between the face masks rubber and my skin. It may sound funny to read this but I want to minimize effects from exposure of VOC's while they are still airborne and still stay healthy as well as in my budget.

Mike

MARTINSR
05-15-2016, 04:58 PM
I'm a hobbyist so as much as I would like to get a good pressurized respirator I don't have the funds to do so. So I try to make the best of what I have. I figure the best we can do is to minimize skin and airway exposure to the VOC's so I'll wear a painters jump suit to cover my clothes and head (also foot covering just to keep bringing in outside crud), a pull over disposable painters hood that covers everything except my face, a 3M half face respirator (always with new organic vapor P100 cartridges), for my eyes I use swimmers goggles with seals so those should keep my eyes moisture from absorbing any VOC's, and for exposed cheek skin I use a thin coating of Vaseline (got that idea from an old school painter who even used it on some metal trim to protect from paint). I don't have a beard so I'll actually shave before painting so as to ensure a good seal between the face masks rubber and my skin. It may sound funny to read this but I want to minimize effects from exposure of VOC's while they are still airborne and still stay healthy as well as in my budget.

Mike

You have it pretty covered Mike, put the respirator in a zip lock bag when not in use.

Brian

Mike S
05-15-2016, 07:33 PM
Thanks Brian. I do keep them in a zip-lock. After this restoration is done (hopefully in July) I'm going to start another in a year and this time I may get a mask like this one in the link posted. It has peel off face protectors so I'm hoping that will protect the clear cover from overspray, in addition the ability to use different cartridges to match the work.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-7162-Full-Facepiece-Spray-Respirator/dp/B0002STR86/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1463358294&sr=1-3&keywords=full+face+mask#Ask

Mike