PDA

View Full Version : NJ EPA wastewater rules?

TheCoatingStore.com

89Blaze
07-14-2014, 02:43 PM
Anybody have any insight as to what Nj epa rules are with wastewater water from auto detailing? It will be discharged into a sewer drain not a storm drain, so right off the bat I need an oil separater. But I can't find what exactly it is they want. Been calling Trenton, 3 transfers and ended up with an answering mechine!:[

Len
07-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Anybody have any insight as to what Nj epa rules are with wastewater water from auto detailing? It will be discharged into a sewer drain not a storm drain, so right off the bat I need an oil separater. But I can't find what exactly it is they want. Been calling Trenton, 3 transfers and ended up with an answering mechine!:[

How did you receive the notification? Were you inspected? If so there should have been some contact info in the paperwork you were given. They are right to control hazardous materials from going into the septic systems but you should be given the details.

89Blaze
07-14-2014, 04:00 PM
Sorry, should have specified, we are opening a shop and the land owner is worryed about the EPA, so I'm trying to nail down what the New Jersey Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NJPDES) should be. The EPA site has subchapter after subchapter of eye crossing BS! Still wait to hear from them, just seeing if anyone had any info. And we don't have septic systems around here so it would just go to a treatment plant. Sean

Len
07-14-2014, 04:58 PM
Sorry, should have specified, we are opening a shop and the land owner is worryed about the EPA, so I'm trying to nail down what the New Jersey Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NJPDES) should be. The EPA site has subchapter after subchapter of eye crossing BS! Still wait to hear from them, just seeing if anyone had any info. And we don't have septic systems around here so it would just go to a treatment plant. Sean

For the small amount of pollutant regulation I had to comply with I got information from my insurance company. You may be able to try your insurance company while you continue to deal with the state. I feel your pain. :(

89Blaze
07-15-2014, 02:04 PM
You may be able to try your insurance company while you continue to deal with the state. I feel your pain. :( So true!
Well after calling the state again! And dealing with a nasty secretary, I said the hell with them and started calling local. Two calls and had all my question answered. The wastewater plant has control over wastewater,permits and what not. He said we are a small shop, and will not produce enough waste, so straight into the drain! All we have to do is register the business with them and that's it. So that's a big relief cost wise. Sean

Mooch
02-09-2015, 11:53 PM
So true!
Well after calling the state again! And dealing with a nasty secretary, I said the hell with them and started calling local. Two calls and had all my question answered. The wastewater plant has control over wastewater,permits and what not. He said we are a small shop, and will not produce enough waste, so straight into the drain! All we have to do is register the business with them and that's it. So that's a big relief cost wise. Sean

After dealing with the state and county in NJ for many years ,I would suggest you get it in writing or be damn sure .

Mooch

Mooch
02-10-2015, 12:10 AM
I forgot to say that I have never had to deal with the EPA in NJ .As NJ has the "New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)"

We only have septic tanks and I believe it is a different animal so you no doubt will be ok .

Mooch

89Blaze
02-10-2015, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately we never got the space, I think we scared the owner with all are legal talk. Which is a real set back! It was a amazing deal and we have yet to find anything that even comes close to it. But I rather protect myself and business.