PDA

View Full Version : VOC vs harmful ingredients

TheCoatingStore.com

Interceptor
12-05-2012, 01:43 PM
Hey guys...I'm new to the forum...great forum btw..

I've been restoring old cars for some years now. I've got the car down to bare metal and looking for the ideal DTM epoxy primer. I've looked at TDS and MSDS of around 30 different primers. One of the things to consider is health and safety....and looking at the MSDS...I find that some primers are low VOC but still have dangerous 'cancer causing' ingredients...whilst others aren't low VOC but don't have any carcinogens. I can spray the doors, fenders etc. outside but the shell is in a really small garage. I plan on using a North full-mask cartridge respirator. I'll have the garage door open and a small fan to get some ventilation. Hopefully the fan motor won't cause an explosion. :o

Sure...none of the Epoxy primers have ISO's or chromate but they all pretty much do the same thing so why not go for the slightly safer one?

So should I go for low VOC or one with the least harmful ingredients?
What exactly does VOC refer to? The fumes given off whilst it dries? I've noticed that the VOC changes depending on the reducer used.

Any tips & advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Len
12-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Hey guys...I'm new to the forum...great forum btw..

I've been restoring old cars for some years now. I've got the car down to bare metal and looking for the ideal DTM epoxy primer. I've looked at TDS and MSDS of around 30 different primers. One of the things to consider is health and safety....and looking at the MSDS...I find that some primers are low VOC but still have dangerous 'cancer causing' ingredients...whilst others aren't low VOC but don't have any carcinogens. I can spray the doors, fenders etc. outside but the shell is in a really small garage. I plan on using a North full-mask cartridge respirator. I'll have the garage door open and a small fan to get some ventilation. Hopefully the fan motor won't cause an explosion. :o

Sure...none of the Epoxy primers have ISO's or chromate but they all pretty much do the same thing so why not go for the slightly safer one?

So should I go for low VOC or one with the least harmful ingredients?
What exactly does VOC refer to? The fumes given off whilst it dries? I've noticed that the VOC changes depending on the reducer used.

Any tips & advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Vocs (Volatile Organic Compounds) are the pollutants that can cause major atmospheric problems in areas where a lot of the VOCs are pumped into the air and that’s why they are regulated in many areas. The immediate danger to someone spraying paint are many but the biggest is Isocyanates generated by hardened paint products.

A cartridge mask will work to protect the painter from VOCs and Isos but the cartridges age quickly and need to be replaced often. Another problem with cartridge masks is that they are “negative pressure” drawing air in as the pressure drops in the mask which can easily cause leakage where the masks contacts your face which can cause dangerous exposure. If you’re going to spray paint containing isos you would be much better off using a “positive pressure” mask that is fed by an air pump that draws air from outside the contaminated area and pumps it to your mask. Any leakage leaks out not in keeping the harmful chemicals out of your lungs.

A positive pressure system will cost more initially but filter replacement is rare and the protection is much safer and allows you to relax and enjoy the spraying operation. One of the better values on the market is the Hobbyair because it’s American made by a good company.

AND a Hobbyair is a great thing to put at the top of your Christmas list. Free shipping in the lower 48 on Hobbyair systems at this time.

http://autobodystore.net/mm5/graphics/00000001/hobbyair2.jpg
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ABS&Category_Code=HP)