PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Suggestions for Breathable Air Hoses?

TheCoatingStore.com

RottenRodney
09-03-2012, 03:44 PM
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1423/28211725.jpg

Pay no attention to the Ford in the foreground. This is about the air-filtration system on the wall behind it. Welcome to the spraybooth I gave away. It’s an older cross-draft (is that the proper terminology?) design and it was old when I took over, but for 17 years it did me right.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8684/p1160257e.jpg

Long story ‘breviated: the booth is gone, and so am I, but I did keep the late-‘90s vintage Sata "Grade-D breathable air” apparatus. I’m currently workin’ on gettin’ it set up on a little stand so I can walk into any spraybooth, garage, or barn—yes, barn, with good air for breathin’ as well as shootin’.

There’s one little problem that concerns me, however. There was one time at the ol’ shop when our Comp-Air Hydrovane compressor blew a big O-ring and pumped oil through all the shop's piping. That was too much for the Sata setup to handle as all three filter reservoirs filled with oil, which proceeded to pass through the “breathable rubber” air hoses. I have two such hoses—a 25-footer and a 50-footer, and I’m pretty sure they’re both contaminated.

I’d like to salvage the hoses. So far I’m thinkin’ of fillin’ ‘em with either dish soap, or Simple Green. After pumpin’ through a good amount o’ one or the other, or both, I’d follow with a long, long rinse of hot water, then cold water to chase away water heater scum. After the rinsing I’d blow clean air through the hoses, through the whole setup with fresh, expensive filters.

Am I on-track with this plan? I’m goin’ to breathe through this stuff again. If there are better ideas, I’d be up for hearin’ ‘em.

Thanks,

RR

Len
09-03-2012, 05:32 PM
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/1423/28211725.jpg

Pay no attention to the Ford in the foreground. This is about the air-filtration system on the wall behind it. Welcome to the spraybooth I gave away. It’s an older cross-draft (is that the proper terminology?) design and it was old when I took over, but for 17 years it did me right.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/8684/p1160257e.jpg

Long story ‘breviated: the booth is gone, and so am I, but I did keep the late-‘90s vintage Sata "Grade-D breathable air” apparatus. I’m currently workin’ on gettin’ it set up on a little stand so I can walk into any spraybooth, garage, or barn—yes, barn, with good air for breathin’ as well as shootin’.

There’s one little problem that concerns me, however. There was one time at the ol’ shop when our Comp-Air Hydrovane compressor blew a big O-ring and pumped oil through all the shop's piping. That was too much for the Sata setup to handle as all three filter reservoirs filled with oil, which proceeded to pass through the “breathable rubber” air hoses. I have two such hoses—a 25-footer and a 50-footer, and I’m pretty sure they’re both contaminated.

I’d like to salvage the hoses. So far I’m thinkin’ of fillin’ ‘em with either dish soap, or Simple Green. After pumpin’ through a good amount o’ one or the other, or both, I’d follow with a long, long rinse of hot water, then cold water to chase away water heater scum. After the rinsing I’d blow clean air through the hoses, through the whole setup with fresh, expensive filters.

Am I on-track with this plan? I’m goin’ to breathe through this stuff again. If there are better ideas, I’d be up for hearin’ ‘em.

Thanks,

RR

If you're going to use a system that has been contaminated it might pay to replace the hoses and filters. Be sure you use a CO detector with that system.

RottenRodney
09-03-2012, 06:06 PM
If you're going to use a system that has been contaminated it might pay to replace the hoses and filters. Be sure you use a CO detector with that system.
I 'ear ya loud 'n' clear, Len. If I could, I'd scrap those hoses, but as I recall, those're pretty spendy. It's like a Catch-22 situation -- can't afford to and can't afford not too. If I can save the hoses without further wreckin' what's left of my health, I'm leanin' that way.

Now about a CO detector: I probably should 'ave had one o' those years ago. You've seen what I'm puttin' together 'ere. Do you sell somethin' that'd adapt to my carry-in gizmo?

Len
09-03-2012, 09:36 PM
I 'ear ya loud 'n' clear, Len. If I could, I'd scrap those hoses, but as I recall, those're pretty spendy. It's like a Catch-22 situation -- can't afford to and can't afford not too. If I can save the hoses without further wreckin' what's left of my health, I'm leanin' that way.

Now about a CO detector: I probably should 'ave had one o' those years ago. You've seen what I'm puttin' together 'ere. Do you sell somethin' that'd adapt to my carry-in gizmo?

I've never used or sold a CO detector but I know it's quite dangerous to operate without one because the damage that the CO causes can be permanent. I can get a Sata detector for you but it would probably be over the top cost wise like other Sata products. Have you ever used a separate supplied air system that uses a separate pump? They have less variables and they are quite safe and portable but hey do have that extra hose you need to drag around. You can try cleaning the hoses but who knows what you'll be breathing when you use them.

http://autobodystore.net/mm5/graphics/00000001/hobbyair2.jpg

RottenRodney
09-05-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm stuggliin' with this one. I know I'll 'ave to be makin' house/shop calls to locations where I will not trust the cleanliness of the on-tap compressed air -- for breathin' or sprayin'. That's one o' the things I like about what I've got -- it's helpful in both areas.

I called my local Sata rep (yep, we really do 'ave a guy to go to here) and we'll get together next week. He's the same guy who sold us the setup years ago. I just want him to look it over 'n' give me an idea whether or not I can afford to stick with Sata.

There's a lot o' head scratchin' goin' on -- 'n' damn, my head is gettin' sore!