PDA

View Full Version : fresh air pump in a cold area

TheCoatingStore.com

69 mayflower
04-18-2012, 03:00 AM
I am interested in getting a Hobby air unit and am wondering about the best place to put the pump.I live in Alaska,so for most periods during the winter,the temperatures are in the 0 to 10 below range but can drop down to around 40 below.I have a couple different places in my shop that I can locate the pump which are away from the contaminated air.These are unheated areas.Any problems running the pump in these cold areas?I would probably plumb it in with pvc then run the hose in the rooms where I spray.
I spray a lot of lacquer paints and do a ton of fiberglass layup in my work. Also restoring my car,and am getting to the point of epoxy primer,hi build and bc/cc in that part of my shop.I have used organic vapor respirators for many years and thinking it's about time to step up to a healthier method.Any information and recommendations are welcome.Half mask,hood or combination?I have a beard and wear glasses.Thanks

Len
04-18-2012, 07:48 AM
I am interested in getting a Hobby air unit and am wondering about the best place to put the pump.I live in Alaska,so for most periods during the winter,the temperatures are in the 0 to 10 below range but can drop down to around 40 below.I have a couple different places in my shop that I can locate the pump which are away from the contaminated air.These are unheated areas.Any problems running the pump in these cold areas?I would probably plumb it in with pvc then run the hose in the rooms where I spray.
I spray a lot of lacquer paints and do a ton of fiberglass layup in my work. Also restoring my car,and am getting to the point of epoxy primer,hi build and bc/cc in that part of my shop.I have used organic vapor respirators for many years and thinking it's about time to step up to a healthier method.Any information and recommendations are welcome.Half mask,hood or combination?I have a beard and wear glasses.Thanks

I haven't tried running the Hobbyair pump at very cold temps but I would imagine that it may not function properly at 40 below. Maybe sitting it on a heating pad would help when the temps get down that low.

The Hobbyair is available with several different masks but the one I like best is the direct feed hood because it's comfortable, it can be used when you have glasses and/or beard and the hose is in back of you as you work. You'll also want to use lens protectors when painting so that the tyvek hood will last longer.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/H13011.jpg
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ABS&Category_Code=HP)

style
04-18-2012, 02:14 PM
i would think being like a turbine sprayer run it in your house first for 10minutes they get super hot then put it out there and use it like normal turbines warm the air alot breathing systems do also but not as intense i have face mask and just ordered another hood lens dead on on the hood part also get a tyvex suit and gloves ...