PDA

View Full Version : Best place to put my fresh air pump?

TheCoatingStore.com

JT1
10-26-2011, 08:07 PM
I have a Hobby air II on the way. trying to figure out where to put it. It gets cold enough (and hot enough) where I am that outside is probably not good.

My garage is attached, and is down about 18" to the first floor. That means I could put the pump in the basement, put the fitting right through the side of the first floor joist, right into the garage. Only issue there is, basement is not a conditioned space although it never gets to hot or too cold down there. It is a little humid, and has a slight "dank basement smell". Maybe not the most desirable to breathe all day.

Above my garage is an attic which is on the other side of an upstairs bedroom wall. This particular bedroom I use as an office. There is an access door right into the space above the garage. It would be real easy to get in there to work. I could run right from the office, through just a few inches of attic, or in the wall if i wanted to get fancy, and right into the garage either high on the garage wall or through the garage ceiling. I could insulate the hose or air pipe so the conditioned air doesn't heat up on it's brief trip through the attic.

Concerns with that are, I'd have an air pump in a bedroom and a fitting running through the wall. And, I'm sure it is worse from a fire code standpoint to have a path from the garage through an attic onto a bedroom, than from a garage into the basement.

Thoughts?

Len
10-26-2011, 11:08 PM
I have a Hobby air II on the way. trying to figure out where to put it. It gets cold enough (and hot enough) where I am that outside is probably not good.

My garage is attached, and is down about 18" to the first floor. That means I could put the pump in the basement, put the fitting right through the side of the first floor joist, right into the garage. Only issue there is, basement is not a conditioned space although it never gets to hot or too cold down there. It is a little humid, and has a slight "dank basement smell". Maybe not the most desirable to breathe all day.

Above my garage is an attic which is on the other side of an upstairs bedroom wall. This particular bedroom I use as an office. There is an access door right into the space above the garage. It would be real easy to get in there to work. I could run right from the office, through just a few inches of attic, or in the wall if i wanted to get fancy, and right into the garage either high on the garage wall or through the garage ceiling. I could insulate the hose or air pipe so the conditioned air doesn't heat up on it's brief trip through the attic.

Concerns with that are, I'd have an air pump in a bedroom and a fitting running through the wall. And, I'm sure it is worse from a fire code standpoint to have a path from the garage through an attic onto a bedroom, than from a garage into the basement.

Thoughts?

It would probably work well if you could put it outside and pump the air through the wall into the shop. I put mine in a "dock box" that I attached to my outside wall so that I can just hit the switch. It's pulling in clean outside air and I just change the filter once a year.

CraigS
10-27-2011, 10:28 AM
From my experience, cold outside air (depending HOW COLD) shouldn't be a problem because the units tend to heat the air a little as it's pumped through its system. Now if you're talking well below zero (F), you should move.

JT1
10-29-2011, 09:06 PM
My Hobbyair 2 arrived! Thanks Len! I unpacked everything and I can't find the "extra Y" connector and valve. Should that be in the main box somewhere?

Len
10-29-2011, 09:44 PM
My Hobbyair 2 arrived! Thanks Len! I unpacked everything and I can't find the "extra Y" connector and valve. Should that be in the main box somewhere?

I must have forgotten to put that on the warehouse request, I'll make sure you get it. Those parts are only needed when you use only one 40' hose, if you hook up both hoses it will work fine until you get the parts.