PDA

View Full Version : Lead poisoning from the body shop...........

TheCoatingStore.com

RonW
06-29-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi guys. I retired a couple years ago, so haven't looked in here in quite some time. I am interested in information from anyone who may have suffered long term lead poisoning from auto painting or other body shop related activities. I am especially interested in specific details from anyone who has been diagnosed. Thanks

Len
06-29-2011, 10:01 PM
Hi guys. I retired a couple years ago, so haven't looked in here in quite some time. I am interested in information from anyone who may have suffered long term lead poisoning from auto painting or other body shop related activities. I am especially interested in specific details from anyone who has been diagnosed. Thanks

Boy, it's rare to hear about lead poisoning in the shops these days. It's a lot more common to have health problems from the isocyanates than from lead. It's been a long time since lead was used on cars but IF you have an old car and IF you strip it by sanding and IF you don't protect your breathing then it's possible to be harmed by the lead.

GBarnett
07-24-2011, 02:45 PM

Hi Ron,
At one point in my career as a metal guy with the FoMoCo I was warned that my lead count was creeping up. (We were blood tested every three months for our lead count.)
Because my count was relatively low, I was not allowed to work with ANY lead for six months. My level crept back down and, so far as I know, no lasting damage was done. Damage to internal organs is the result of really high lead and there were guys who suffered much worse, even a couple who passed on, because of high lead.
I don't know the answer if one's lead count reaches a critical 'mass'. If someone thinks they have high lead then a medical opinion should be sought after.
Take care,
George