PDA

View Full Version : What is the best fresh air supply to get?

TheCoatingStore.com

icrman
01-22-2011, 03:49 AM
I think there are 2 different brands offered here. I would want a full face too.

Len
01-22-2011, 08:35 AM
I think there are 2 different brands offered here. I would want a full face too.

If you're using it in a professional shop and need it to be NIOSH certified then a Bullard or SAS system would probably be best. These two companies make pro systems that cost between $1200 and $3000.

For a smaller operation and DIYers you can't beat the Hobbyair that starts at around $400. For a NIOSH approved system that is used when you have employees the Hobbyair systems usually double in price but it's the exact same system with the proper paperwork.

Most DIYers like the Hobbyair because of price and portability. The standard Hobbyair comes with 40 feet of hose which is usually only used if the pump is mounted on an outside wall and piped though the wall where the 40 feet of hose is sufficient.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/HB01.jpg
Hobbyair LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HB01&Category_Code=HP)

The Hobbyair 2 has a high output pump and 80 feet of hose that allows the user to put the pump outdoors away from the contaminated area, run the hose in the door and still have enough hose to make it all the way around the car or truck.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/HB02H.jpg
Hobbyair 2 LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=HB02&Category_Code=HP)

When using a full face mask or a hood you should also purchase "lens protectors" to protect the lens so that you get many uses of the mask or hood.

70fastback
08-16-2011, 01:50 AM
After spending tons of $$$$ on equipment then finally buying a hobbyair2, I quickly realized it is the FIRST piece of equipment I should have purchased. I have the full hood w/out mask cuz I have a beard. I painted my first vehicle with a mask, in a garage, no beard, and NOW have a respiratory disease to go along with it...not trying to scare anyone into buying one, it's just what happened to me...
I painted my second vehicle about a 1 1/2 months ago and it was a dream with the HA2. The air blowing thru the hood kept me nice and cool.

style
08-16-2011, 03:39 AM
i have an axis citation that doubles as a fresh air system and a turbine sprayer being a turbine sprayer it eliminates contamination in the lines and moisture and the fresh air system means no worrying about filters to change every week PLUS YOU NEVER HAVE TO DRAIN A COMPRESSOR!!!

Len
08-17-2011, 08:42 AM
i have an axis citation that doubles as a fresh air system and a turbine sprayer being a turbine sprayer it eliminates contamination in the lines and moisture and the fresh air system means no worrying about filters to change every week PLUS YOU NEVER HAVE TO DRAIN A COMPRESSOR!!!

The Citation and the Hobbyair have the same air pump for breathing and the Citation has a separate pump (turbine) for spraying.

muddywater
09-18-2011, 06:47 PM
+1 on th Hobbyair. I just purchased the Hobbyair2 and realize the money spent is nothing compared to the benifits.

No significant filter cartridge cost any more either (the HEPA filter on the unit is less than 10 bucks and should las a long time if the unit is placed in reasonably clean environment.)

39 chevy
10-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Say painting in a (1) car garage, my Hobbyair pump would have to sit outside correct? Explain, thanks, Dana also is the full hood on sale?

style
10-02-2011, 10:14 PM
Say painting in a (1) car garage, my Hobbyair pump would have to sit outside correct? Explain, thanks, Dana also is the full hood on sale?

outside yes..

Len
10-02-2011, 10:31 PM

Yes, if you are going to run the hose out the door and have the pump far enough away so that it doesn't suck up contaminated air. I usually recommend the Hobbyair 2 because it comes with plenty of hose but the Hobbyair 1 works well when you can punch a hole in the wall, mount the pump on the outside wall and don't need to use a lot of hose to reach the pump.

39 chevy
10-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Len, your standard Hobbyair w/hood comes freight free correct?

Len
10-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Len, your standard Hobbyair w/hood comes freight free correct?

If you call the order in we will pay the freight. 1-888-485-5008

39 chevy
10-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Len , I will call u next week, thanks, Dana

tireman9
10-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I realise that Autobodystore.com sells fresh air respirators. Before finding this web site I was doing searches and found

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=39xBMjrmKM4

$365 +w/50'hose

I plan on doing only one project (51 Checy P/U). Painting in a home made booth in my garage.

I realize this unit does not have the NIOSH certificate but I also understand that the cost of certification can be significant and not all companies choose to "pay the price".

Since I wear glasses and have beard the hood is my only option so I would be looking at more $ and with Hobby Air I would still have to wear mask under the hood. Other "Pro" systems are even more expensive.

Other than no NIOSH Certificate, do you see problems with this unit?