PDA

View Full Version : Goggles, glasses, face shields

TheCoatingStore.com

Roger J.
07-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Well, I just got back from the eye doctor. I now have a nice divot in my eye that's about 2-3 millimeters deep from the doc drilling (yes, drilling) in after a piece a metal that got around my safety glasses the other day. And I didn't even get a lollipop!!.
I have a protective contact lens in my eye that has to be removed when I go back tomorrow, and I have to put drops in my eye for the next few days.
I will never again trust safety glasses as being my only form of eye protection. If I wear them at all, they will be under a quality face shield (yes I know that's overkill).

If you've never had the pleasure of having a tiny drill bit whirling around in your eye, and hearing the bit make a neat little grinding noise as it hits the metal buried in there,,, then let me tell ya,, it's no fun.

Len
07-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Well, I just got back from the eye doctor. I now have a nice divot in my eye that's about 2-3 millimeters deep from the doc drilling (yes, drilling) in after a piece a metal that got around my safety glasses the other day. And I didn't even get a lollipop!!.
I have a protective contact lens in my eye that has to be removed when I go back tomorrow, and I have to put drops in my eye for the next few days.
I will never again trust safety glasses as being my only form of eye protection. If I wear them at all, they will be under a quality face shield (yes I know that's overkill).

If you've never had the pleasure of having a tiny drill bit whirling around in your eye, and hearing the bit make a neat little grinding noise as it hits the metal buried in there,,, then let me tell ya,, it's no fun.

Wow, that's a drag. I wear a face shield most of the time because I've had everything from metal to filler dust to lacquer thinner in my eyes but never had to drill anything out. Those inexpensive shields like the one below work pretty good so I have a couple of them around all the time.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/3m37106.jpg
LINK (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3m37106&Category_Code=3OP)

tech69
07-24-2010, 05:21 PM

Same thing happened to me. I felt it go in and it hurt for a second and then I continued working. Woke up the next morning and my eye was hurting. At first I tried to flush it out for a day but had no luck. They had to pluck it out and drill out the rust rings out of mine too. I got some cool non fogging googles at harbor freight after. Face masks suck if you ask me. Good googles that don't fog up are much less cumbersome.

Mooch
07-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Sorry to hear it Roger . You need those head lights . I worked at a glass house in the 60s and had to have some slivers removed and that was bad enough for me . The thought of a drill scares the crap out of me .

Mooch

tech69
07-26-2010, 06:50 PM
It's like saran wrap on your eye being drilled. Like how it blurs your vision and makes your vision wavy. that was pretty cool.

MARTINSR
08-06-2010, 07:05 PM
It's like saran wrap on your eye being drilled. Like how it blurs your vision and makes your vision wavy. that was pretty cool.

I remember that! Yeow, that is not where I want to end my day. Hope all is well Roger!

Brian

tbm3fan
08-06-2010, 11:44 PM
I sure hope he didn't remove 2-3 millimeters deep. The actual corneal thickness averages 555-588 microns with a range from the low 400s to the high 600s. That is 0.55-0.58 millimeters. Makes one really appreciate what the cornea does and how it puts up with the world's environment when only 1/2 millimeter thick.

Roger J.
08-07-2010, 10:23 AM
He must have meant 2-3 millimeters wide or something. At one point, he did say the "rust ring" around the metal was pretty wide, so that coulda been what he was talking about.
He said something about there being 5-6 layers to the outer layer of the eye, and that it went through all of them.
I actually had to reach over the gizmo that you rest your forehead against,, and hold my own eye lid opened (it was pretty swollen) so he could steady his other hand when he was drilling around. I asked him if I'd be getting a discount for being part of the operation, but I'm guessing I didn't. :D

Anyway, the old eyeball is just fine now.

tbm3fan
08-09-2010, 01:52 AM
I'm sure he meant width. The outer layer, the epithelium, is 7 cell layers thick. The central stroma is 90% of the cornea's thickness. The last layer, the endothelium, is only one precious layer thick of hexangle cells and crucial to the cornea maintaining it's clarity.

tech69
12-29-2010, 09:29 PM
I think I have something useful to leave here. It happened to me again and this time I lost a tad of my great vision. I used safety glasses instead of the goggles or shield...never again. Anyhow, what was different this time is the guy in er decided to grind it out and still sent me to the opthomologist, as opposed to last time where he just tried to pluck it out, gave up, and sent me along. Had he not grinded on it and just sent me to the eye doctor the eye doctor would have used his slit scope w/ better magnification and better tools and plucked it out, or at least that tried before drilling. I wouldn't have had pain and I wouldn't have blurred vision now. I hear it will get better but I feel this time it wasn't handled as well as last time.

In any case, don't risk it. There's angles where that piece of metal can fit between your eye brow and rim on glasses. I'm very fortunate and feel lucky.

All Dry
01-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Some safety glasses are better than others ,IMO the glasses that work the best are the ones with a foam gasket that compresses and conforms to your face creating a seal between the glass frame and your face. I like the brand "Crews model Z87" Inexpensive enough to use a few times then pitch when they get dirty.They also dont fog easily.With this type of glasses very little chance of debris getting through them.Mike Just to clarify the ''glasses'' I was reffering to are actually goggles

Roger J.
01-21-2011, 10:18 PM
I might have to check those out. Thanks for the info.