PDA

View Full Version : The beauty of chemical resistant gloves....

TheCoatingStore.com

Zack_532
07-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Another tip that should be common sense to most people, albeit sometimes I get lazy and break the rule my own self, is to wear a good quality chemical/ tear resistant glove, something such as a nitrile glove, when applying or mixing any chemicals, especially ones with high acid levels. I remember I had bought a gallon of Jasco stripper, and it was hot out, and I didn't want to wear old sweat trap gloves. Well I ended up getting a big old glob of that jasco on my hand with realizing it, and then proceeded to wipe sweat of my forehead, still not realizing the jasco was on my hand. Needless to say, a few minutes later I had a few minor 1st and slight 2nd degree burns on my hand and forehead. Nitrile gloves are cheap and generally pretty effective, although some chemicals need something a little stronger. An added benefit is not having to wash grease or dirt off your hands every 5 minutes as well.

slyhog22056
07-17-2010, 11:04 PM
I go thru nitrile gloves by the box weekly, i change them anytime i stop or start doing anything at all.... even to stop and pick up something, cross contamination from your gloves to tools isnt something people think about but happens without a thought. I wont even sand, grind or weld without them on. Besides ... wear them long enough and you will have the cleanest hands around from your hands sweating inside them...

Len
07-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Another tip that should be common sense to most people, albeit sometimes I get lazy and break the rule my own self, is to wear a good quality chemical/ tear resistant glove, something such as a nitrile glove, when applying or mixing any chemicals, especially ones with high acid levels. I remember I had bought a gallon of Jasco stripper, and it was hot out, and I didn't want to wear old sweat trap gloves. Well I ended up getting a big old glob of that jasco on my hand with realizing it, and then proceeded to wipe sweat of my forehead, still not realizing the jasco was on my hand. Needless to say, a few minutes later I had a few minor 1st and slight 2nd degree burns on my hand and forehead. Nitrile gloves are cheap and generally pretty effective, although some chemicals need something a little stronger. An added benefit is not having to wash grease or dirt off your hands every 5 minutes as well.

Actually nitrile gloves are usually not recommended for use around solvents like thinner or reducer because the solvents penetrate the gloves. For solvents vinyl works well and so does latex. Nitrile doesn't distort like thin latex does but it does allow the solvent to reach and penetrate your skin. We're always trying different types of gloves and find that the triple thick type gloves work best for most body shop chemicals.

http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/sasthick.jpg
Thickster (and other) Gloves Link (http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=3OP)

Zack_532
07-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Thats true also Slyhog, a lot of these corrosive chemicals will eat up metal overnight, and most people wouldn't even think twice about it. And its funny you mention that Len, after this incident, when i was applying the Jasco with the Nitrile gloves, they would start to bubble up, and I'd change them before and damage was done. I just figured it was that they weren't totally chemical resistant, but now I won't run through 6 pairs of the gloves in 30 minutes. Thanks for the advice :D