PDA

View Full Version : Respirator

TheCoatingStore.com

katit
03-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Hi! I'm planning to do some painting, nothing major. Paint I will use doesn't have ISO, it's John deere paint for my tractor parts.

So, I'm going to get 3M respirator. They come in half-mask kind and full face. Prices is ~$40 vs $140. Not sure what so different about full face? It's the same filtering..

Please advice. I have horrible experience with googles - they get fogged way too easy.

Len
03-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi! I'm planning to do some painting, nothing major. Paint I will use doesn't have ISO, it's John deere paint for my tractor parts.

So, I'm going to get 3M respirator. They come in half-mask kind and full face. Prices is ~$40 vs $140. Not sure what so different about full face? It's the same filtering..

Please advice. I have horrible experience with googles - they get fogged way too easy.

If you're sure that the paint has no isos then the half mask will work. I probably wouldn't use it over a long period of time but for one or two small jobs you'll be fine.

katit
03-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Len,

Thanks for quick response. Do I hear you correctly that I can use full-face cartridge mask with ISO's? I didn't think anything but fresh air would work with those?

My understanding was that no cartridge was good for ISO, just wanted to know how I'm going to benefit from full-face respirator..

Ivan

Len
03-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Len,

Thanks for quick response. Do I hear you correctly that I can use full-face cartridge mask with ISO's? I didn't think anything but fresh air would work with those?

My understanding was that no cartridge was good for ISO, just wanted to know how I'm going to benefit from full-face respirator..

Ivan

No, I was only addressing your work not working with isos. The paint with isos is MUCH MORE DANGEROUS than non-iso paint and should be used with a supplied air system. While the cartridge mask can be used with isos it's so much more dangerous that you won't find any mask manufacturers recommending this type of mask for paint with isos. One of the problems with using a cartridge mask is that it's "negative pressure" and any slight leak can be very dangerous while, with a supplied air leak, the air blows out and the contaminants won't reach your lungs.

nighthitcher
04-03-2010, 04:17 AM
sounds good to me