Thread: opinions on clearing over factory clearcoat 08 blk escalade..

Exclamation opinions on clearing over factory clearcoat 08 blk escalade..

Well it seems latley everone wants to wet sand there factory paint and then compound polish and wax it so that it looks like glass,well I've had no problems burning anything and every car looks like glass but a customer brought me a blk escalade esv and wants it cut and buffed this factory paint has a lot I mean a lot a lot of orange peel to a point in where the customer reffered to there own car as macco could do better.. So I was thinking sand it with 1500 then spray a thin coat of clear then sand again then buff...hmmm what do you think?... Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by style
    Well it seems latley everone wants to wet sand there factory paint and then compound polish and wax it so that it looks like glass,well I've had no problems burning anything and every car looks like glass but a customer brought me a blk escalade esv and wants it cut and buffed this factory paint has a lot I mean a lot a lot of orange peel to a point in where the customer reffered to there own car as macco could do better.. So I was thinking sand it with 1500 then spray a thin coat of clear then sand again then buff...hmmm what do you think?... Any ideas?
    Im no pro but I think you would be better off to skip spraying clear over the existing ''factory''paint.It seems to me that you are doing more work than needed and could get into issues with reactions with the prexisting clear coat.Mike

Just out of curiosity.HOW MUCH are you gonna charge to detrim and refinish an ENTIRE Escalade????

Smile well,

Quote Originally Posted by TimG
    Just out of curiosity.HOW MUCH are you gonna charge to detrim and refinish an ENTIRE Escalade????
    Well,to cut and buff 200.00 ,to detrim and clear and then cut and buff 650.00 including materials...

Quote Originally Posted by style
    Well,to cut and buff 200.00 ,to detrim and clear and then cut and buff 650.00 including materials...

If I was going to re-clear the material alone would cost three to four hundred and the week of labor would cost the customer a minimum of $1500 but probably more like $2500 to $3500 for a black vehicle of that size. Hey, that's a full paint job you're doing... you've got to put enough clear on the surface to cut and buff which means that it's the same amount of clear you would put over a base coat. It's just like doing a single stage paint job.

The first thing I would do is to sand and polish. If it were in my shop I'd use my AirVantage and 1500 grit Finishing Film. You can cut the entire car in a couple hours then go over it with 3000 grit Trizact then polish. That would be about a $300 to $400 job and should take 8 to 12 hours.

Well,to cut and buff 200.00 ,to detrim and clear and then cut and buff 650.00 including materials.
    LOL now thats funny.or sad...i cant decide.What kind of clear coat are you using?Do you like using cheap materials,and working for free?

The first thing you have to do is decide if you like to work for nothing, and second if you want to open a HUGE door for problems down the road to redo.

Putting a "thin coat of clear" on and then buffing it is asking for trouble BIG TIME. If you think you have had problems cutting thru clear coats when buffing, try applying a "thin coat of clear" and buffing!

What about the removal of all the mouldings and handles and such? If you don't do that you are asking for failure around them, that is where peeling starts.

A light buffing of OEM paint is about all you can do, there is VERY little material! They save millions of dollars by not putting on extra clear. There is VERY little to cut off.

To put a clear coat over it, you would need to treat it just like a paint job, don't look at it like a "thin coat of clear" you need to look at it as what it is, a complete paint job.

If you wanted to make an OEM job perfect, realistically you would have to sand it flat, sanding THRU the clear in many areas. Then apply a few coats of base and your two or three coats of clear. Then sand that flat and buff it.

Brian

I personally believe these modern cars aren't very straight from the factory. They 'use the orange peel' to hide the fact that they don't block or guidecoate new cars. When you give it the 'glass-like' look, all those wave's show-up...

Default don't do it!

very nicely send your customer to the dealer. you are asking for trouble & this one will find you! i can see cradle to grave regarding this job.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." Alfred E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by barthmonster
    I personally believe these modern cars aren't very straight from the factory. They 'use the orange peel' to hide the fact that they don't block or guidecoate new cars. When you give it the 'glass-like' look, all those wave's show-up...
    BUT on the other hand if you look at the Infiniti FX35 the doors on that car are huge and the metal and paint from the factory are flawless,I wonder how such perfectly straight panels can come from a factory production line.Mike

88GT Guest

Like Len and Brian said. Its a complete paint job on a huge vehicle. $650 Might cover materials.