TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you paint the stripes on this car

Default How would you paint the stripes on this car

I`m painting bc/cc but am still undecided if and how the stripes should be painted and then cleared over.If I paint the white then mask off the stripes to spray then I think too much time will have passed before I can clear coat.Here`s a pic and a link to more pictures.What do you think would be the best method considering this will be my first overall job.I`m thinking paint it whit and clear.Then mask stripes and scuff with sandpaper or scothbrite pads.Which do you think and what grit.Then paint the stripes in a single stage paint.The stripes aren`t gloss,they are a 80/20 flattener mix.It`s hard to see but around the black is also a painted red pinstripe.

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/di...4&location=CHA

Guess everyone is as stumped as me with 27 views and no replies.

Ppg has a semi gloss black (cant remember the number) that looks good,works on mach 1's etc.I would mask out the stripe,and scuff really dull with a grey scotch brite,clean then paint it.

Here's how to beat the recoat window with basecoat rap. Base and clear the entire car in white. Come back with single stage black after scuffing the clear after taping. I would use a semigloss for the stripes but gloss single stage would work if you prefer full gloss.

I must be missing something here because I have waited days between paint and clear without any problems. Why not just paint it white, mask it 24 hours later, spray the black... sand it with some 800, and clear it?

I would paint the black (unmasked) in single stage color then sand it with some 600 then mask off the stripes, spray the white, unmask the black and clear the entire car. If you want to bury the stripe you'll need to apply a couple of extra coats over them then sand and polish.

So far for me I like the way Dennis is decribing.SInce I`m a newbe to all this.Len I think the way you are describing would work real well for hiding the edge of the stripes but I`m not real comfortable with that way just yet.If I painted the black first and then sanded with 600.00 does that mean I wouldn`t have to worry about the basecoat recoat window?also Len like I said you have the red stripe painted on as well and there is an 1/8" of white between the black and red stripes.I`m mainly concerned with the recoat window if I didn`t do it the way Dennis is describing.

Quote Originally Posted by john7821
    So far for me I like the way Dennis is decribing.SInce I`m a newbe to all this.Len I think the way you are describing would work real well for hiding the edge of the stripes but I`m not real comfortable with that way just yet.If I painted the black first and then sanded with 600.00 does that mean I wouldn`t have to worry about the basecoat recoat window?also Len like I said you have the red stripe painted on as well and there is an 1/8" of white between the black and red stripes.I`m mainly concerned with the recoat window if I didn`t do it the way Dennis is describing.
    When you use single stage then sand you don't need to worry about the recoat window like you do with base coat color. You can do the black, sand and mask it, spray the red, sand and mask it then spray the white, remove the masking materials over the red and black then clear the entire car.

The problem with masking after the white is applied is that you need to cover the entire car but when you spray the stripe first then you only need to mask the stripe.

Quote Originally Posted by overtwo636
    I must be missing something here because I have waited days between paint and clear without any problems. Why not just paint it white, mask it 24 hours later, spray the black... sand it with some 800, and clear it?
    If you're using single stage urethane then your approach will work fine. Most basecoat paints however have a topcoat time window of 24 hours or less. You may have gotten by with exceeding such a window, but you are risking delamination of the clear, and no paint company is going to help you with any eventual problem if you blatantly disregard their instructions. Also, most base coats are not to be sanded prior to clearcoating. If such basecoats are sanded, then more base needs to be applied prior to clearcoating.

Harry Phinney

Well, the ideas are all over the board on this one, I'll give you mine.

About painting it past the recoat, that recoat is there on the tech sheets for a reason. YES you can have delame problems, and sanding it only adds to the cause.

This is how I see it, and yes I have done a number of them. The factory had the car painted and then the stripe was painted over the top using stencils. If it was good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Paint it, clear it, then mask it off and shoot the stripes and you are done. Heres a link to an article on this site. http://autobodystore.com/ms24.shtml

And on the SS semi gloss stripe, I lean towards bc/cc with a matte clear, MUCH more maintainence friendly.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Phinney
    If you're using single stage urethane then your approach will work fine. Most basecoat paints however have a topcoat time window of 24 hours or less. You may have gotten by with exceeding such a window, but you are risking delamination of the clear, and no paint company is going to help you with any eventual problem if you blatantly disregard their instructions. Also, most base coats are not to be sanded prior to clearcoating. If such basecoats are sanded, then more base needs to be applied prior to clearcoating.

Harry Phinney

I have yet to have any issues with a clearcoat on top of paint that has been waiting a week for clear. I will check with the paint company and see if there is a topcoat window. I sand all my jobs before topcoat.

Len,
    I missed the part about the single stage black in your first post.Sorry about that.So I`d just spray black where the stripes will be and let the overspray go wherever.Then sand all the overspray and what will be the stripe with 600 grit.Mask that and do the same with the red.Does that sound right.I`m just looking at all my options right now so I can decide which route I`ll take.There`s a big GS show in Bowling Green this weekend so I`m going to see how some of the other guys have painted theirs and which way I like the best.

I would for sure paint the stripe first. Why bother covering the entire car for such a small stripe. Paint the black first, and mask off the stripe. Then paint the car. A tip Len taught me was to shoot one pass of black over the taped edge after you've taped off the stripe. That way if the first coat bleeds under the tape a bit, it's the same color as the stripe.

Shadetree,
    That`s a good idea about spraying the first coat of black but it won`t work in this application because there is the black stripe then the red stripe and 1/8" from it.I`ll just pray that nothing bleeds through I guess.How long should I wait after spraying the white before I unmask the stripes?

This is my problem with painting the black first. You can have problems with the overspray edge of the black lifting or adding texture when you apply the color over it.

Brian