TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are used airbags legal to use?

Default Are used airbags legal to use?

I've been told you cannot re-use a airbag from a salvage yard for collision repair. Is there a federal reg prohibiting this? I understand there is a possibility of fraud with a business that may reskin a deployed airbag and sell as good but I thought once the bag has deployed it would throw a defect code....

I don't think there's a fed rule. I've heard of some state laws. I think NY is one that doesn't allow it.
    I've used salvage bags with good luck as far as resetting the system. As far as going off.....hmmm. I don't think it's illegal here as the salvage yards do sell them.
    I guess that's better than one local that's always in the shop looking for matched trim paint for his glued airbag seam. He covers up the airbag light and fills the old bag with something before fixing the seam and painting it. Of course a salvage vehicle needs an inspection so he's always looking for clear title wrecks.

Larry

I never herd of that law.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray62406
    I've been told you cannot re-use a airbag from a salvage yard for collision repair. Is there a federal reg prohibiting this? I understand there is a possibility of fraud with a business that may reskin a deployed airbag and sell as good but I thought once the bag has deployed it would throw a defect code....
    That' one thing I would never cheat on. If that car is in an accident 10 years later it could cost you your house. Purchase the manufacturer's product from a dealer and keep the receipt.

Smile I glue them all the time,lol..

I have a lot of car lots I deal with so the other day I went to drop off a car and saw a really nice mazda mpv like an 05 or so 31kmiles so I went to look at it and got in immeadiatly noticing the airbag was a diff color I turnd the steering wheel and the air bag fell out apparently the previous bodyman forgot the screws I asked the owner of the lot about it he laughed and said it has a new air bag and showed me an opening in the back where he pulled out some plastic then the plastic bag he pulled out read wal mart he says see I told you it was new..... So obviously not ileagle in texas.....

Yeah right,sounds like a load of bulls**t style!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray62406

New York is THE ONLY state that does not allow used airbags to be installed on a vehicle, unless it has been tested by a certified testing establishment.
    Seeing there is no such establishment, no used airbags!!!
    HTH, Dean

Smile wow!!! a you are pharmacist too?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson M
    Yeah right,sounds like a load of bulls**t style!!
    I didn't know you have been following me around and have seen what I've seen,are you are stalker?...

Pm me your email and ill be glad to send you pics,if that's what this is really about, if you don't pm me then ill assume your a load of sh*t cause either 1:you really don't believe me or 2:your a stalker that has a secret crush on me and is madly in love with me or 3: you are someone that looks at everybody you see and SAYS! THAT GUY THEIR HE'S A CON MAN,HES TROUBLE,HE'S TALKS B.S.!!! And if you really stop and think about it maybe its not everyone else with the problem.. The problem is you... Who are you to judge?
    If your judgeing someone then you are telling me your god or a mesiah and that scares me more then you stalking me, I think you need to sit down and have a chat with our in house psychiatrist and pharmacist,the allmighty phil v...

Why don't you go kill yourself,hahahahahahahahahah!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson M
    Why don't you go kill yourself,hahahahahahahahahah!

Ok, let's try acting like adults.

Thumbs down but,but,but he started it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    Ok, let's try acting like adults.
    Yea! Grow up jaysUn....

Got to admit,good come back stalker,made me laugh..

Default air bags

after dealing with air bags since they were put on cars. I have seen people hit a dog and set them off and cars hit bridges hard and not ! I and alot of techs believe less than half of them work after a few years. Thats to sad.

Default Used bags are ok here...

But its the reconditionned ones that are illegal....remember those? Some were rebuilt with gun powder...and they used whiteout on blood stains...it was a crazy industry...

The problem with testing an airbag is putting it back in its box afteerwards...
    My 2 cents worth...
    Serge

Quote Originally Posted by brokencars
    after dealing with air bags since they were put on cars. I have seen people hit a dog and set them off and cars hit bridges hard and not ! I and alot of techs believe less than half of them work after a few years. Thats to sad.

You need to watch this!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOdlEacIxBs
    E-tek Racing and Resto

My Site: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    My Stuff:
    '67 Galaxie Convertible
    '74 Challenger
    46 Mercury 1/2T
    '71 Datsun 240Z

There are no laws that say you cannot use a used air bag.Keep in mind though on some models you may have to replace the module or the clock spring or both.i would recomend taking your car to a shop rather than fixing it yourself.Air bag deployment requires only a small amout of voltage.that means you could set one off with a static charge.