TheCoatingStore.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are used airbags legal to use?

Seatbelts save lives not airbags..

Greetings, Keep in mind that i have never seen an expiration date on an air bag or have heard of a manufacture advise that the be replaced after so many years or miles, with that being said i have seen bulletins from manufactures regarding not spray coloring them to match an interior. also keep in mind of TAKATA ( NOT SURE OF SPELLING) recently recalling several hundred thousand air bags being recalled as they were used by many manufactures all over the world .. So as Dirty Harry said do you feel lucky punk!!!!!!!!!!!

Takata uses the chemical ammonium nitrate to create a small explosion and fill air bags quickly in a crash. But the chemical can deteriorate when exposed to high humidity and temperatures and burn too fast, blowing apart a metal canister. That can hurl hot shrapnel into unsuspecting drivers and passengers.
    At least 20 people have been killed worldwide and more than 180 injured.
    interesting subject to me as I purchased a 2017 Honda Ridgeline with 1,700 miles for personal use that had a front left side impact. No frame rail damage, just radiator core support and items behind it. Starts and drives fine. The pu drivers side sustained some damage, nothing major. It did blow the right ab curtain, left air bag curtain, steering wheel bag and drivers seat side bag, so I am looking into replacing those. There is a list of used air bag suppliers for collision work.
    I've restored a lot of cars but never a late model rebuild. One thing I found while searching info is that a lot of shops are using older methods to repair and weld the newer high strength steel used now. Many of those methods will not work properly on these vehicles, some require special welding material/wire and not the old stand by .023 I have always used.