TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Piping a small shop

Question Piping a small shop

I have a 60 gallon 2 stage compressor and I would like to pipe a small shop. Is there a website that would show various piping layouts and also suggest what kind of plastic pipe to use. Is schedule 40 OK? I know you need to add drops along the line for moisture but, how many per foot? I don't know if this is the proper place to ask these questions but thanks for any recommendations.

This may help you:

http://www.sharpe1.com/dr-pipe.htm

But, I think you want to stay away from plastic pipe for pressurized air lines. Just my $.02.

There are a lot of ways to do it right.

This way works for me.

I used the thick wall copper and the stuff you use for brazing copper refridgerent lines. To keep costs down I used 1/2" at the ends and 3/4" for the long runs. It is much cheaper to get 1/2" ball valves and such. The other reason for going to a larger pipe is it helps to drop the moisture out. Any time you let the air expand you let it cool and the moisture can fall out. I do not know if it really makes a difference in my case, but it sounds good. The reality is the 3/4 is not much more than 1/2 so I went with it.

I sloped the line back to the compressor and put water collection extensions and ball valves at the low points. Copper is cheap and easy so I added some ports for later expansion.

My brothers very large hobby shop came with a main air pipe running the length of the building. It is a plastic pipe I think 3" in dia. with taps every 10 ft.

Thumbs up

Merle; I've seen quite a bit re: piping (sp) air in garage/shop....

Try garagejunkies.net and do a search..
    Jerry J.

I don't know of a better resource for this topic than the threads at garagejunkies.net. This thread is a good starting place, and there's more content available by searching their archives. (Don't say the "P" word (PVC) over there! bad, very bad!)

I went with Schedule "L" copper for my system, and have been very pleased. I too went with 3/4" main lines and 1/2" drops. In a 1000sqft garage, I did 4 drops, but I say do as many as you need.
    Last edited by doug; 03-20-2006 at 02:11 PM.
    -Doug

Thumbs up Re: Piping a small shop.

Thanks for the info guys. I will definitely NOT use pvc to pipe my system. I will use copper as suggested. This is a great site! :cool: