TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight paint guns ?s.

Default Harbor Freight paint guns ?s.

I've heard some people having good results with a HF paint gun, how true is this, and what about using it only for a primer gun?

Thanks.

Almost anything works with primer because you usually flat sand it after you spray. I'm a little more picky, I like my primer to be as smooth and flat as possible so I use several better guns depending on the application. Like most tools and materials, when you purchase a spray gun you'll usually get what you pay for. A good middle of the road primer gun is the DeVilbiss Finishline III, parts are easy to get and you can order it with any one of several fluid tips.

I hope to have enough money here soon for a DeVilbiss Plus. Didn't want to use primer through it. Maybe some day I'll paint till then I'll be prepared.

Thanks.

HF guns are crap, i ordered one just to shoot primer like you said and i got maybe 2 good uses out of it and that was it, the plastic seal behind the air cap failed. They dont sell gun parts so you would be better off getting the finishline 3 like Len said or a astro.

I myself have a Devilbiss starting line for a primer gun, its a decent primer gun i just wished i knew that parts were so hard to find before i bought it or I would have gotten the FL 3

Thanks,
    Ryan

"Save the cheap paint for the power-wheels"

Komplete Kustoms

my son works at harbour frieght and got one of those guns he paid like 7 bucks w/discount i was priming a mustang and let him shot with it (the hood) then i let him shot the rest of the car with my finex 300. he felt he wasted 7 bucks, then he sanded the hood i sanded the rest of the car!!!!!

Wasted 7 bucks and one more item goes into the landfill.

Better to buy a quality tool that will last a while, wouldn't you think?

I use the devilbiss FLG III like Len has pictured above, for a little over $100.0 you can't beat the gun for primer. I went through 3 of those cheap brands, just a waste of $$$$, buy something good, and forget the heartache.

I have one and have only used it twice... both times to paint some farm equipment....

I learned on a harbor freight and got it to spray ok... for a HF. Thing that sucks is that it won't give you rewarding results for perfect conditions. When I sprayed a good gun for the first time it seemed like my HF experience made any other gun seem easy to get used to.

HF Sells FL3's now for a pretty high price... Whats next DV Plus, Sata's, Iwata's? lol

Thanks,
    Ryan

"Save the cheap paint for the power-wheels"

Komplete Kustoms

Quote Originally Posted by SHOWCAR FINISH
    I learned on a harbor freight and got it to spray ok... for a HF. Thing that sucks is that it won't give you rewarding results for perfect conditions. When I sprayed a good gun for the first time it seemed like my HF experience made any other gun seem easy to get used to.
    no kidding i bought the nicest gun harbor freight offered and had not one good experience i tried and tried,my buddy told me it was me and not the gun......i bought a finishline3 and was shocked with my great skills (i mean results )
    Whats an owners manual?

I also use a finish line FLG III for spraying primer, and have been really impressed with that gun. I'm sure it would spray Base/clear just fine.

By the way NY-BOSSMAN, welcome to the site, there is some really good people here, with all kinds of knowledge..just ask and you will receive......LEN, Serge, Henry, Robert..the list goes on and on...Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by joedirt216
    By the way NY-BOSSMAN, welcome to the site, there is some really good people here, with all kinds of knowledge..just ask and you will receive......LEN, Serge, Henry, Robert..the list goes on and on...Good Luck
    thank you ,ive been lurking for a while and learning ALOT,im in the middle of a buick regal build im soooo sure i will be needing all the help i can get.
    trust me ill be around here for a while! :cool:
    Whats an owners manual?

harbor freight carries only one gun i know of with a good reputation. it is the #43430 purple hvlp gun. i have one for spraying epoxy primer and primer sealer. ive had it for a couple years and it has done a fine job for me so far. just this past weekend i even used it to spray base on a car. i had ordered a devilbiss gti millenium that hadnt come in yet, so i used my hf gun. it is a charcoal gray metallic base coat. i used my iwata w400lv for clear.