TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: body fillers ??????

Default body fillers ??????

how big of an area would you guys use body filler on? i have a dime sized door ding on a double walled fender that i cant get to the back of, would you guys fill it or what? also what is a good filler? i also need to know of a filler for a eurothane bumper, mine got a pretty deep scratch on it.

Default Fillers

Door dings and other small dents in the metal can be filled by using a small amount of polyester putty. We usually use Evercoat's Eurosoft Putty because it doesn't harden too fast and it doesn't generate pinholes when spread correctly. For the bumper I'd probably use Evercoat's Poly-Flex because it's flexible and can bend with the plastic.

thanks, is there a difficult mixing process with the filler, or maybe a little how to article?

Default Easy to mix.

The filler mixing process is very forgiving. You put a little cream hardener on a little filler then mix it in with a putty knife and apply it to the surface with a spreader. When you get ready so use it let me know and I'll guide you through the process. Get a spreader or two also.

if im using a small amount do i need to use a file on it? what grit sandpaper should i use on it before primer? also, after i fill the bumper scratch what type of primer should be used on the bumper, the same as the rest of the car?

Default Block Sanding

Quote Originally Posted by smrcalidiv
    if im using a small amount do i need to use a file on it? what grit sandpaper should i use on it before primer? also, after i fill the bumper scratch what type of primer should be used on the bumper, the same as the rest of the car?
    For block sanding a small ding you can get away with doing the initial sanding with some 80 grit then finishing with some 180 or 220. You may need to use a couple of separate coats of filler to get it right.

would you use the poly-flex for all plastic filling jobs? i have a deep scrape in a body scoop that is also plastic, but it does not need the flexibility of, say the bumper. it is fixed and does not flex. would that still be the way to go or would you use traditional body filler?

Default No Flex

If it's a rigid plastic I would probably use a standard polyester putty like Evercoat's Euro-Soft.