TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Aw man, what a mess!!

Unhappy Aw man, what a mess!!

I been cruising along with my project and been so happy till now. I went to spray the top of my boat and used the exact same procedure that i've used to day,
    Epoxy primer as a sealer, some light filler, and then the 2K primer.

I wiped it down real well with some wax and grease remover like I've done through this whole project and went to spray the MP282 2K with a splash of reducer. Everywhere I sprayed I can see the wipe marks from the wax and grease remover. What the heck happened. Looks like fisheye central

There's contamination coming from somewhere.

Are you spraying the cleaner on?
    Are you using paper towels to remove the cleaner?

If you pour the cleaner onto a cloth it could hurt you as could wiping it off with a cloth. Use a pump sprayer to apply it and new, clean paper towels to wipe it off.

Aw man Len, I need some help bad!

I'm using a clean cloth to wipe in on and off.

I'm open to all options. this project has been perfect till now........HELP!!!!!

Do I have to sand it all the way back down? What can I do? I am genuinely lost

It sounds like you didn't completely wipe up the dirt and it dried on the surface.

Also, do you use fabric softeners for those cloths? Not sure of the effects on paint but when you feel a fabric softener you get the impression that it's not good to paint over.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrork

Thanks Len and Showcar. Here is the carnage. Not for the weak of heart so be careful. As you suggested, there must have had something on the "clean" rag or didnt get it wiped down enough

I'm open to all suggestions of 'what's next"

Thank for the help

Last edited by Jrork; 10-28-2007 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrork

I'm using a clean cloth to wipe in on and off.

I'm open to all options. this project has been perfect till now........HELP!!!!!

You'll need to block sand the surface flat then clean and reshoot. I would block it with some 400 wet to level the surface then block it again with some 600 or 800 wet to remove the 400 scratches. After removing the dust with a clean damp sponge and dry with a clean towel I would pump spray the cleaner on then wipe it with a clean paper towel. Cloth towels can be trouble even when washed because of detergent or softener that is not fully rinsed from the cloth.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    You'll need to block sand the surface flat then clean and reshoot. I would block it with some 400 wet to level the surface then block it again with some 600 or 800 wet to remove the 400 scratches. After removing the dust with a clean damp sponge and dry with a clean towel I would pump spray the cleaner on then wipe it with a clean paper towel. Cloth towels can be trouble even when washed because of detergent or softener that is not fully rinsed from the cloth.
    Thanks Len. That's exactly what I'll do. What type of spray contraption do you recommend? One of those squirt bottles you can by at a hardware store??

Once again, many thanks to Len and Showcare for talking me off the ledge..john

Yahooooo. Dry sanded it and then finished it off by wet sanding it with some 400. Shot it again and it looks fantastic... Thanks a bunch for the help and support

Great- you lucked out. Answer to your question re: pump sprayer. If you paint a lot- get a good USC or SW industrial pump sprayer (about $40.00). If it's a once in a while deal, buy a Home Depot bottle sprayer ($3.00) with the understanding that it will last about a day w/ wax & grease remover, before it starts to melt.

Yep, I went with the USC sprayer, it's easy to use and pump and you don't need to take out the solvent you can just keep refilling because the solvent cleaner won't hurt it but you can't use it with lacquer thinner.

Jrork,
    Just a helpful hint....buy the USC sprayer from Len. Over the past five years I had bought $40 worth of $1.99 sprayers...then I smartened up and bought the USC Sprayer from Len. I guess its better late than never...!
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    Yep, I went with the USC sprayer, it's easy to use and pump and you don't need to take out the solvent you can just keep refilling because the solvent cleaner won't hurt it but you can't use it with lacquer thinner.

How durable are these I've been through like 10 in the past 3 or 4 months.. just with water and dawn soap mostly..

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    How durable are these I've been through like 10 in the past 3 or 4 months.. just with water and dawn soap mostly..
    I've been using the same one for ten years with solvent cleaner but thinner kills them fast.

Quote Originally Posted by style View Post
    Wow, this is a shock to me. I too have been using the USC Handy sprayers for years. I have one for panel prep and one for G&W remover. The only time I have ever had a problem is when I used a wrong product in it. On that occasion I used lacquer thinner to take off rattle can spray paint when my truck was vandalized. I was able to use the USC repair kit and have never had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronf View Post
    Wow, this is a shock to me. I too have been using the USC Handy sprayers for years. I have one for panel prep and one for G&W remover. The only time I have ever had a problem is when I used a wrong product in it. On that occasion I used lacquer thinner to take off rattle can spray paint when my truck was vandalized. I was able to use the USC repair kit and have never had a problem since.
    The USC repair kit might help my buddy as well.