TheCoatingStore.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary paint booth "Tent"

Default Temporary paint booth "Tent"

Has anybody ever tried or considered one of these:

http://boburl.com/589

for use as a temporary paint booth? Seems like it wouldn't be a bad way to go... zip up doorway that it features would be mighty handy. Set up a bank of lights outside the tent, shining through the "windows". For not a lot of money, it could get the job done quite nicely I think. Comes in various sizes too. Opinions?
    Dave Stromberger

What a deal, and the shipping is ONLY $204, not so cheap when you add them up.

Yes, you'd have to find one locally of course. So far I haven't found any near where I live, but you'd sure think they wouldn't be tough to find. I've seen'm at outdoor events many times.
    Dave Stromberger

The biggest problem that i see with it, is that you would have to paint at night. Night time painting = bugs, and maybe pissed off neighbors. If you did paint during the day the natural light would make it hard to get your paint on evenly.

I thought about making one myself. Its not like it needs to last a long time so i was going to take some 2x4s and frame sections, 2 of them would be 8x20ft two would be 8x16 foot and one would be 20x16 foot for the roof. Then i was going to cover them with plastic and screw them together except for one of the end pieces. Lay plastic on the ground and attach it to the walls. Push the car and and put up up the last end. Of course it would need a door for a person and some ventilation set up. I Haven't worked those details out yet. If anyone has tried this method i would be interested to know how you ventilated it.

I was actually planning to put it up inside my shop, that way I would have the advantage of the concrete floor. The doors with zippers really sound like a great feature. I'd tape the sides of the tent down to the floor, setup lights all along the outside of the tent ... some cheap-o flourescents mounted to saw horses? If I can't get one of these cheap enough locally, I'll scrap the idea and just make one myself. Maybe out of PVC tubing and visqueen? 2x4's would be stronger, but also harder to dismantle and re-assemble as needed. Making a PVC tubing frame that could span 13-16 feet wide might be a challenge... perhaps make some trusses outta the stuff.
    Dave Stromberger

Quote Originally Posted by sparky65
    I thought about making one myself. Its not like it needs to last a long time so i was going to take some 2x4s and frame sections, 2 of them would be 8x20ft two would be 8x16 foot and one would be 20x16 foot for the roof. Then i was going to cover them with plastic and screw them together except for one of the end pieces. Lay plastic on the ground and attach it to the walls. Push the car and and put up up the last end. Of course it would need a door for a person and some ventilation set up. I Haven't worked those details out yet. If anyone has tried this method i would be interested to know how you ventilated it.
    my friend built a small one in his garage for doing motorcycle paintjobs
    he used some of those 20 in box fans for exhaust with airconditioning
    filters in front of the fan works good.He has lights in the garage above it
    on the ceiling and put some other lights on the side.all the lights are outside the plastic so it keeps it from the fumes.
    Body&Paint 65 Dodge A/FX featured in
    Mopar Collectors Guide April/04 and
    Mopar Muscle June/05

Body&Paint 69 1/2 A12 Sixpack SuperBee
    car #170 on SixPack/6BBL Registry
    http://www.homestead.com/sixpacksixbbl/registry.html

Default Warehouse Clubs...

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgic Dave
    Yes, you'd have to find one locally of course. So far I haven't found any near where I live, but you'd sure think they wouldn't be tough to find. I've seen'm at outdoor events many times.
    Dave, local BJ's where I am sells a more sturdy outdoor type 12 x 20 for $249. If you have a club near you then that would save shipping. There are no windows in the one they have but it does have zipper doors. For inside, I would think you could cut windows an use either plexiglass or clear heavy plastic.
    By the way, you said for inside your shop. These things are very hot when erected outside in the summer and would make painting difficult. They get very damp too and at night, condensation forms on the inside and drips down by morning. In the winter the condensation freezes at night and drips all day. A buddy bought one for his small boat. He ended up putting vents in the eves on both ends for air to circulate. Henry

I was actually planning to put it up inside my shop, that way I would have the advantage of the concrete floor. The doors with zippers really sound like a great feature. I'd tape the sides of the tent down to the floor, setup lights all along the outside of the tent ... some cheap-o flourescents mounted to saw horses? If I can't get one of these cheap enough locally, I'll scrap the idea and just make one myself. Maybe out of PVC tubing and visqueen? 2x4's would be stronger, but also harder to dismantle and re-assemble as needed. Making a PVC tubing frame that could span 13-16 feet wide might be a challenge... perhaps make some trusses outta the stuff.
    PVC is an idea to maybe cheaper. I guess i could use duct tap to attach the plastic. The problem with fans is explosion proof ones are too expensive so i would want to keep the fans out of the fumes which means i want to blow fresh air in rather then suck the air out. Not sure were would be a good place to blow the fresh air in. If you blow it in at the top your filtering has to be good otherwise you blow junk onto the fresh paint. If you blow in on the bottom you risk picking up the dried over spray from the floor and putting that into the paint. :confused:

It's doable I think. I've seen PDR guys using something similar on Dealer Lots and that was outdoors. But I must digress they are usually just doing spot repairs and not full re-paints.

There are other models on the 'net made more for working in than hosting a party. Anchoring it inside on a concrete floor would be my first concern.

26'x16' is mighty roomy.

Greg
    Thoughts and comments expressed by me are mine based on my own experience and research and shared here freely. I am not a professional nor make any claim to be as such

Has anybody ever tried or considered one of these:

http://boburl.com/589

for use as a temporary paint booth? Seems like it wouldn't be a bad way to go... zip up doorway that it features would be mighty handy. Set up a bank of lights outside the tent, shining through the "windows". For not a lot of money, it could get the job done quite nicely I think. Comes in various sizes too. Opinions?
    Dave
    That would work fine as long as you vented it properly, had good lighting and used the proper breathing apparatus.

My car is a '60 Impala, so I need all the room I can get for painting it. I've got the hobbyair setup that I use all the time for doing my bicycle resto work, so fresh air wont be an issue. Ventilation would need to be figured out. As for anchoring it to the floor, well I don't expect any high winds to come ripping through my shop any time soon, so I wasn't to worried about that. I've got plenty of time to figure all this out before I'm ready to paint anyway... just thinking it out ahead of time.
    Dave Stromberger

Default PVC and plastic paint booth

There is an excellent article in the December 2006 issue of Auto Restorer on how to build a 10'x20' booth out of PVC pipe and plastic. It uses positive pressure for ventilation. They have a nice list of parts that you need to build it as well. I built one based on thier concept with slight changes based on what I could get for elbow pieces locally. I did spend about $200 for all the material though including the plastic and some flourescent lights and bulbs ($50 worth). My scanner turns the article into a huge file so I can not attach here. I will try to find a picture of what it looks like and attach..

JTTZ2002,

I'm interested in the AR article, if you can email it to me, I might be able to put in on my photo hosting site and link it to here as a photo. In any case, could you at least email it to me? I used to get AR and of all the subscriptions I let go, that the one I'm most disappointed I no longer get.

Larry

I will try to scan the full document tonight and get it to someone to try and reduce the size or link to another site.