TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: spraying metal flake

Default spraying metal flake

I found a company (called xotic custom paints) that makes a silver basecoat with larger than average metal flake in the basecoat...my question...can I apply this with my gravity fed devilbiss plus?
    I figure probably not right, becuase I need to have some sort of agitator in there and all that...
    So, basically, If I want to lay a metal flake basecoat down I need a siphon feed paint gun?

It would be pretty tough to spray heavy metal flake from a gravity feed gun.
    Do you plan on using urethane clear to mix the flakes in ? If so then you get into a kind of a grey area where in order to spray the large flakes you need a large fluid tip/air cap but then a large fluid tip/air cap makes for a crappy flow out smooth paint job.

I think I am just going to pass on using the heavy metal flake, everything I read and everyone I talk to says it is a messy job that never comes out right (for a novice like myself)...
    I just wanted to go outside a plain paint job on an older custom vehicle. I will keep looking.

88GT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vannmann
    I think I am just going to pass on using the heavy metal flake, everything I read and everyone I talk to says it is a messy job that never comes out right (for a novice like myself)...
    I just wanted to go outside a plain paint job on an older custom vehicle. I will keep looking.
    Powder pearls are fun to play with. Try playing with some ghost flames. They are easy and look good

Default The xotic silver should be ok...

Like a BC02 in house of kolor with some ultra mini flakes added...It can be shot with a 1.4 tip gravity feed gun easily. Stay in the ultra mini flakes and you should be fine.

There are two things you can do. Either put the flake in the silver basecoat which will give you a bigger glitter witout it looking too much like a flake job or put it in a sg100 intercoat clear that is mixed 1:1 with reducer and shoot it on top of your silver for a more "flaky" look...You don't need to put alot of it, a little goes a long way...

Flakes are quite cheep so you can play with them...they do create a mess though. Try to keep your mixing bench "Flake free" cause you never know when a little flake will brake free and fall in another batch of paint you are mixing...these things tend to show up for weeks after the flake job is done...

Gee..have fun...try something different...on an old hood or an old fender...flakes are best learned by doing...I have no agitator and have shot many flakes...in gravity guns! ...
    My 2 cents worth...
    Serge

house of Kolor fine metallic basecoat in silver sounds nice...think I will be able to spray with the devilbiss plus with a 1.4 tip on it?
    Last edited by vannmann; 08-23-2007 at 10:52 PM.