TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Dupont Centari.....

Default Dupont Centari.....

Does anyone know if Centari is getting phased out?

I went to get some paint mixed for a set of wheels and 2 local jobbers said they don't have the tint bases anymore and haven't sold it for some time now....
    Dupont still has the data sheets up on their site, but it's odd 2 jobbers not affaliated with each other don't stock it anymore.

I use it on wire spoke wheels(20s & 30s cars) and axles quite a bit...

Officially, I have not heard.
    But our local DuPont Jobber has discontinued Centari AE as well. Actually it's great for me as we still sell AE. As a matter of fact, I just was given a DuPont rack with the paint today probably because they can't restock the Centari. Racks been there a while as it's half Lucite though.
    I'd say with all these jobbers eliminating it, it's probably just a matter of time.

Larry

I'm prob one of the few who still use it.... It's great for Vintage car wheels...

That Lucite/Centari rack sounds like a neat piece.. I'd like to start collecting old Paint related signs etc.. but the scalpers around here get them before I do!

I want one of the old Valspar signs that they put in body shops back in the 20/30s. They are porcelain enamel with pretty cool graphics. About 2 a year come on eBay but they always sell for over a grand. Too much....

The rack is pretty bad actually, really dirty. But when they wan't a competing paint out, I'll take it out. Even if it looks like it hasn't been used since the Beatles broke up.

Larry

Centari is not as good as other products for wheels. Certainly not Centari without hardener.

Centari is too soft. Powder coating is the number one choice today with Urethane coming in a close second.

Powder coating is particularly good if you have wire wheels. It is hard and it gets in all the spaces and you have much less chance of getting drips.

The only thing with Powder coating and 'hard' paints is when you go to put the lug nuts on and when mounting tires it chips.

I use Centari with hardener... but lately have been using urethane even tho it's not my first choice.....

Here's the last set I painted with Centari..

dave_demented Guest

i had no idea that it was getting phased out, i'll talk to my jobber about it. i painted my dads tracter using that exact color of centari this past winter

Quote Originally Posted by 56Ford
    The only thing with Powder coating and 'hard' paints is when you go to put the lug nuts on and when mounting tires it chips.

I use Centari with hardener... but lately have been using urethane even tho it's not my first choice.....
    While urethane is harder and more likely to break when putting on the lugs it will act much like acrylic enamel (like Centari) if you work it within the first 48 hours. After it fully hardens a good urethane will age much more slowly than AE. This is what makes it more desirable but it will also depend on which products you use and the quality of those coatings.

To prevent the lug nut chipping guys are using block out nuts to keep paint from the lug tapers or they have made up some grinding stones to grind out the paint.

Look in the archives of fordbarn and ahooga to see the various solutions.

When we do high end rims with lugs to match we use teflon cushioned sockets to re-install the painted lugs.
    Last edited by Len; 08-12-2007 at 09:20 AM.

Yea I have some coated sockets that work pretty well..
    I found some tapered plugs that I'll start using in the lug nut holes..dunno why I haven't found them before.

Len- I didn't think of putting the wheels on shortly after paint. I usually shoot them first then go on to the body/chassis..
    I'll give that a try!

Quote Originally Posted by 56Ford
    Yea I have some coated sockets that work pretty well..
    I found some tapered plugs that I'll start using in the lug nut holes..dunno why I haven't found them before.

Len- I didn't think of putting the wheels on shortly after paint. I usually shoot them first then go on to the body/chassis..
    I'll give that a try!
    Tightening painted lugs before the paint is fully cured is a Catch 22. The softer paint doesn't chip or break like cured paint but it does move more easily under the pressure of the socket. Either way you'll probably need to do a little touch up work if you want them to look perfect.