Thread: Can I clear coat over epoxy primer?

Default Can I clear coat over epoxy primer?

I just completed installing fenders,rockers, cab corners and some other body panels on my 93 chev pick up. I shot the panels with ppg dp white epoxy primer. My question is if I finish shooting the rest of the truck with the dp I have left ,can Ijust clear coat over the white dp? This is just my truck for back and forth to work. THANKS Joe K

I think you would be better off getting a cheap single stage urethane paint and spraying over the epoxy instead. Im not sure that clear is designed to be sprayed over epoxy. Although, I guess clear coat is not much different than regular paint, so it might work, i've just never heard of anyone doing it before.

88GT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernMudSlinger
    I think you would be better off getting a cheap single stage urethane paint and spraying over the epoxy instead. Im not sure that clear is designed to be sprayed over epoxy. Although, I guess clear coat is not much different than regular paint, so it might work, i've just never heard of anyone doing it before.
    I agree. Why clear primer? Im sure you can, but why? Why not go the extra step and base it 1st

After treating my floor pans with rust treatment I shot them with 2K primer, and then a couple coats of clear. I put the clear on to create more of a thick hard protective coating. It worked fine. I agree with the others that you just as well take the opportunity to get some color out of your work, but so far as the clear working over the Epoxy, I see no reason why it wouldn't.

Why clear primer? Well, #1 The truck is white ,the primer epoxy primer is white. #2 I have clear left over from another car. #3 I won't be able to paint it where I normally do so it looks like I' m going to shoot it outside,so I wanted to get by with as few steps as possible. Thems my reasons for asking, whats your thougths? THANKS Joe k

Epoxy paints in general have poor UV resistance, and epoxy primers are certainly not designed to withstand day-to-day sun exposure. Good quality clears do provide significant UV filtering, but that filtering is far from 100%. You will have a more durable finish if you top coat the epoxy with an opaque urethane.

Harry Phinney

For what you intend to use the truck for I would just go ahead and shoot the clear.

It will last years without any problems . I even think the white epoxy will look good .

Mooch

I'd say that it all depends on the importance you place on the vehicle. It may not look as good and it may not last as long but if you don't place a lot of importance on those factors I'd say shoot the clear. However, you're almost applying a complete bc/cc job, you're only leaving out the base.

I don't see why it wouldn't work for a daily driver, my only concern would be getting it clean after you sand the primer, with it being white every little scratch is going to collect dirt. But if you're still in the recoat window for the epoxy then you shouldn't have to sand it.

Thanks everyone for you replys Joe k

Joe- not only will it work, it's a PPG recommended system. To capture the Rat Rod guys, PPG came out w/ a recommendation of using a flattened urethane clear over black DP90. Un-cleared DP will break down when exposed to the sun & elements, but a good clearcoat will protect for a good while. I'd make sure you clear it in the recommended window (7 days w DP/DP401) & a little quicker w/ DPLF & 402. Otherwise you'll have to sand the DP-not user friendly for sanding.