TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Easy fix?

Default Easy fix?

I'm thinking about buying this car but it comes with some rear panel damage from it being rear ended. Do you think an auto body shop would be able to fill the rear panel and paint it as well and repaint the rear bumper for under $200?

Thanks in advance

No way.

That would never happen unless you plan on looking at 40 grit sand scratches on your bumpy quarter with a crappy one stage. At least they'll paint your mufflers and wheels for free.

Hire a guy to do the body work and run thru some options with him to get it cheaper at the maaco. Have him prep it and ready to go.

Well, on one hand.... it IS an *easy fix*

but no one in their right mind is going to touch that for $200.....

I agree, not $200 repair but you may be able to find a $500 job.

If a customer brought me that car for an estimate I would tell him/her that the paint and materials alone to do the repair will be around $150.00. And I agree with Len, $500 would be on the low side to do that repair.

And from what I can deduce based on the pictures its not a real easy job. Obviously that tail lamp assy. is a used replacement because the original tail lamp got smashed all to hell. Notice how the rear tip of the quarter panel is pinching/pressing down on the top of the replacement tail lamp. That means when the quarter damage that we can all see happened it sucked the part above the tail lamp down. On the surface it looks like an easy fix but could turn out to be a real pain in the as*.

88GT Guest

I wouldnt even throw a figure in the air till I cleaned it off. but 200? no way.
    To paint whats there if its perfectly ready? maybe
    Fix it too? not a chance

Quote Originally Posted by 88GT
    I wouldnt even throw a figure in the air till I cleaned it off.
    My usual comment is "well, I can charge ya $250 to wash it & then I'll let you know how much to fix it.. or you can go away & bring it back after YOU wash it.."

Hello,

Here's a snapshot into collision repairs in a different part of the world, where there are no repair product retailers, and no recycling yards to buy used parts, here being only accessible by aircraft.

Paint procucts are HAZMAT by aircraft cargo shipping.
    Air-approved packaging is $150.00 per 14" X 14" X 18" box, for anything from a pint of basecoat to a gallon of clearcoat.
    Enough material to do an average complete in BC/CC comes in 3 boxes. (assuming you already have your fillers/putties/primers/sealers/reducers, that we must pre-order enough of annually, arriving by ship)
    The HAZMAT shipping declaration is another $75.00 per order (We can only thank the HAZMAT Gods the amount of packages per order doesn't matter)

Add the time it takes for the supplier to send the products to the HAZMAT packagers, and add the time it takes for them to get it to the airport.
    Consider yourself very lucky to receive your order a month after it's ordered.

Add the time and telephone bill it costs to find a used tail light assy into this job quote, and were into an easy $50-75.00 for an "insurance quality" part.

Masking paper and tape, sandpaper, grinding discs, non-flammable sealers and adhesives, and everything else required is shipped up at a rate of $4.40 per Kilogram, including aauto glass (Which is charged an addition "Cubic dimensional" rate, because of it's large packaging)

Then, add the repair of this 1/4 and tail light pocket, at an average $120.00 per flat/rate fairly estimated repair hr.

Add the rust repair required under the tail light at the joint to the rear bumper upper finish panel (Which given this model is an import, requires mandatory disassembly to repair and prime/jamb paint correctly).
    Consider this may not simply "unbolt" due to the rust known, and we have hidden damages to be considered in addition.

Needless to say, in our parts, a $250 collision deductible doesn't pay for the estimate and pictures the shop has to e-mail to the insurance underwriter, as there are no claims representatives or appraisers here either.

All bonafide repair facilities charge $250.00 for estimates under $3K here, as they lose a fortune annually to "back-yard" operations, that continue to undercut licenced shops by 10%, but only provide 50 % of quality work.
    The "back-yarders" also pack their HAZMAT in shipments of undeclared auto parts, and dump their waste in places nobody in their right mind would consider.

Waste barrels of paint product are shipped out annually, at rediculously high cost. Like one 55 gallon drum costing $1,250.00 to dispose of legally.

Retail collision/body repair is no cheaper, as there is no way of avoiding inherent costs, so there is no such thing as a "cash" job.

A repair of this nature here would easily exceed $2K.

Then again, a loaf of bread is $4.00, 2 quarts of milk is $8.50, a litre of gas is $1.30, and a pack of smokes is $16.00.

$200.00?

Unfortunately, you wouldn't obtain an estimate here for that.

Tom
    "The amount of times you jump on your motorcycle's kicker before it starts, is reflective to how many people are watching"