TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: taking out scratches out of aluminum trim

Default taking out scratches out of aluminum trim

stripping car and sander made a boo boo on the trim. Now I need to try to hide it. I was thinking to lightly hit it with finer grit and buff. What would you do?

The problem that you face is most aluminum moldings on cars are anodized. If you sand and buff that scratch there will be a visually obvious circle around the repair and the sanded/buffed repaired area will be more shiny that the surrounding area.

Well stated, I've yet to find a method for fixing that type of thing and although it drives me nuts, these are one of things best left alone. Unless your looking to replace the whole piece.
    Thoughts and comments expressed by me are mine based on my own experience and research and shared here freely. I am not a professional nor make any claim to be as such

88GT Guest

for future reference, either remove the trim (prefered) or at least tape it off

What mouldings are they? Mouldings on older and newer cars come in aluminum, stainless steel, and cast pot metal that is chromed. If it is aluminum, as Phil said, it will be anodized and not much can be done. If it is chromed pot metal, not a chance, sorry. If it is stainless steel, it is very easy to polish out yourself. So it really depends on what you have.

Brian

Short of replacing or leaving the piece as-is, if it is anodized aluminum you could strip the annodizing (mechanically or chemically) and polish it out. It won't match the surrounding trim though - it will actually look better. Could be bright dipped again.

Thanks guys. It's the old school ones from a dart. I imagine it will look shinier than the rest so I'll just have to buff both sides, and if I do that I'll probably have to do the window ones too to match.:eek:

I had 2 layers of tape over them but next time when trying to protect something like that I'll put 4 layers.