TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st post - can I paint my own car? *long*

Default 1st post - can I paint my own car? *long*

I will preface this by saying Hi! I am totally hooked on this forum. I am a 33 year old Tig welder and a HUGE car fanatic. I own a 1991 CRX track car/street car that is currently Flat Black. It was painted with a rattle can by the previous owner.

I have been reading these forums for the last few days, and wonder if it's really true that I can paint my own car. I know cars mechanically, but I FEAR bodywork, but I fear the price(and quality) of a real bodyshop in my area even more. I have had 3 cars painted, and 3 disasters. 1 expensive job on my Civic show car, looked great for a week or 2, then it started chipping and peeling.
    Job number 2 was a collision job at what was supposed to be a great shop, they didn't even primer, just painted right over the new black bodyparts they had installed :mad: so it all peeled off.
    The 3rd job was on my terminally rusty DD, and it was 1000$ and I got what I paid for, orange peel nastiness that has already started rusting and peeling off like crazy.

So I've come here for help. My car only has minor rust, but I want to fix it right so it stops. I am a pro welder on Stainless, not thin gauge car body steel, but I imagine I won't have much trouble with the welding itself. I have tried body welding before, and it warped bad(sunroof plug) I tacked it on opposing areas, let it cool, the whole deal and it looked like a mess when I was done. I need help.

I don't need show quality, in fact I don't care much about the paint itself, but I want the car smooth, straight, clean, and rust free.

So here's the questions:

Do I need to spend a fortune on tools?

Everywhere my car is rusty are complex/compound angles and curves or seams, how do you tackle these areas?

I'm in Canada, where do I get this Picklex 20 stuff?

Do I NEED a spray gun? Or am I better off doing all the body prep work and then taking it for final paint?

How do you weld holes(approx. 1/2" x 1/2") when you can't see the backside and can't even get to it to coat it after welding. The trimholes on my CRX are behind the door beam(read: not accessible)

Have I asked too much? I've been searching like a man possessed, but I don't know the terms or proper questions to get the answer I'm looking for.

Thanks for any info,

Darren

You could actually get your money back for those hack jobs, unless you told them you didn't want primer. That's just ridiculous. As a shop manager, I would NEVER allow a car to get painted without primer, even if the customer wanted it that way. It just makes the shop look bad. Orange peel can be normal if the painter isn't great and if you didn't pay for buffing but NO way should there be adhesion problems. Sounds like some horribly trained cavemen who seem to think they're bodymen. Yes, tools are expensive. In my opinion, the painting will be easier than getting a whole car perfectly straight. Practice on some scraps if ya can. There's a goldmine of information on this site.

exactly what he said, if you have no painting experience at all, i would try to get all the body work done yourself, and then take it to a shop and have them spray it, then the cost wont be quite soo bad. if you posted some pics it would also help. hope this helps
    andrew

Thanks guys, I will post some pics as soon as I take some.

I'd like to invest in a good dual-action sander, but I doubt my old 5hp Craftsman air compressor is up to the task. Are there electric DA's?

I went to C-max tonight, it's the autobody store inside our NAPA store, and it confused the heck out of me. I don't even know where to begin.

I think I need some Picklex 20 to fix my surface rust, but I have no idea where to buy it in Canada. Is there another easily availible product?

Here's some pictures:

Here some photos of the worst areas. Like i said, not too bad at all, but I need to know where to start.

Darren

Some more pics:

Soooo? Easy right? Where do I start?

Again, I've been reading like a madman, but I'm still confused.

What is 2K primer?

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenD
    Thanks guys, I will post some pics as soon as I take some.

I'd like to invest in a good dual-action sander, but I doubt my old 5hp Craftsman air compressor is up to the task. Are there electric DA's?

I went to C-max tonight, it's the autobody store inside our NAPA store, and it confused the heck out of me. I don't even know where to begin.

I think I need some Picklex 20 to fix my surface rust, but I have no idea where to buy it in Canada. Is there another easily availible product?
    Darren
    Do yourself a favor and, before you start your planning, get a copy of the Spray Painting 101 Video. It's two hours long and will explain a lot of the tools, materials and techniques needed to get a desired result. Once you have the information supplied by the video you can plan your work and know what to expect.

Smile

Hey Darren,
    Take a look at the latest issue of Hot Rod. There is an interesting "How To" article about painting a car with thinned Rustolem paint and a high density roller. The editors decided to see if the idea that you could get a decent paint job with a regular paint and a roller was a urban myth or the truth. They were surprised to find that the paint job car came out much better than just OK. Article said it works only with soild colors. Lots of work to do right, but very cheap, ( total cost to paint a 60s Falcon was less than $100 ). Good luck with what ever you decide.
    Teetop60

What Len said, you don't want to go off half cocked and start spending coin on stuff you may or may not need.

Cause brother let me tell you once you add up the tap for what you will need gettin in this hobby it can make you "wince" at times.

Len should be able to sell you some Picklex - 20 even if your over the Border.

If not maybe these guys can help.

Greg
    Thoughts and comments expressed by me are mine based on my own experience and research and shared here freely. I am not a professional nor make any claim to be as such

10. Default

If you get picklex for that a pillar I see you might as well take a look what's under that primer as well. It looks like the surface of the moon. You probably already had that in mind. Looks like a simple job in terms of the body work. I'd get some cheap harbor junk and if you like doing it you can invest later in some better tools. 2 hours of paint video would help you tons, and I imagine it is packed with helpful things that are the difference between a beauty and a god awful nightmare. Even after the video you should practice to get consistant equal coverage. Good luck.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by teetop60
    Hey Darren,
    Take a look at the latest issue of Hot Rod. There is an interesting "How To" article about painting a car with thinned Rustolem paint and a high density roller. The editors decided to see if the idea that you could get a decent paint job with a regular paint and a roller was a urban myth or the truth. They were surprised to find that the paint job car came out much better than just OK. Article said it works only with soild colors. Lots of work to do right, but very cheap, ( total cost to paint a 60s Falcon was less than $100 ). Good luck with what ever you decide.
    Teetop60
    What a way to support the industry Hotrod Mag!!!

"Why spend thousands when you can spend $100"

Sidenote: only available in Orange and you'd better buff till your arms
    fall off.

I have read that original 50$ paintjob article many times, and seeing as the guy is Canadian, I can get Tremclad here. It is very good paint, but damn a roller? I think I'll pass on that deal.

The more research I do on bodywork, the more I want to do this. BUT, I have found a local DIY paint job with a booth and the whole deal for paint. So I can do all the body prep at home and then take it there for paint.(my garage is just too small, and too crowded)

Look like that video would be an amazing investement, and more than pay for itself.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I am absolutely loving this forum!!

EDIT: I just ordered the video.

You can probably get away with the 5HP compressor if it has a decent size tank. 7.5 HP is about as large as you can go without having 3-phase electrical service.

88GT Guest

A beginner should get the dvd Len has.
    I bet rolling on metalic paint lays out the metalics perfectly. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jhowell
    You can probably get away with the 5HP compressor if it has a decent size tank. 7.5 HP is about as large as you can go without having 3-phase electrical service.

Eaton makes a 10 HP 120 gal tank single phase compressor . It will be my next compressor . But for the most part you are correct .

Of course one could always go with a gas engine one .

Mooch