TheCoatingStore.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the old farts out there

Default For the old farts out there

Do you guys remember "Black Magic" filler ? (circa late 1960's). That was some nasty filler to work with. Plugged up the sandpaper like you were sanding hard wax. Felt oily or greasy even when done sanding. I'm trying to remember what the original Bondo brand bondo was like.

I'm not quite an old-timer ye...but I always feel compelled to share the can on plastic filler from yester-year whenever I see a thread on this.

So, I finally went down to garage, dug up the can, and opened it up to see what was inside. My parents purchased their house over 30 years ago, and the decade prior to that, it was owned by someone who owned a local auto garage.

I get a kick out of the label, since it crudely depicts some pretty archaic honking looking unappealing block 70's ish style cars.

The label is a little rough after the years, but as far as I can tell, it's Double A brand (Automotive Associates) "Famous across the Nation".

It's black as coal (and now hard as a rock...proving that hardener only speeds up the reaction, but if you have a few decades on hand, the repair may firm up on it's own).

Some interesting findings on the label...specs call to rough up the metal w/ 16 grit paper, drill holes every inch or so, and not to build over 1/2" thickness (no typo)...kind of crazy, considering that what we have today is better, and optimally used less sparingly.

I'll upload pics if I can.

Mooch is offline I guess you've noticed I DON'T HAVE A CLUE

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V
    Do you guys remember "Black Magic" filler ? (circa late 1960's). That was some nasty filler to work with. Plugged up the sandpaper like you were sanding hard wax. Felt oily or greasy even when done sanding. I'm trying to remember what the original Bondo brand bondo was like.

I used a ton of the orginal Bondo .And to me it was a lot like the Bondo you can buy now in the red can. I found it easy to work with way back when.

I no longer use it but I do use the new Bondo Ultimate light a lot. I think the biggest difference is the newer Bondo is creamier and I have no problem with pin holes. Now that is thinking back a long time .

Mooch

just a comment on the application procedure stated above.
    if your restoring a car never drill holes in the metal to apply the filler.
    Bodyfiller is like a sponge and when you drill holes the filler goes thru to the other side.Yes,it helps hold the filler to the car but it also premotes rust.
    the filler can absorb moisture like a sponge and that in turn will attack the metal and cause it to rust so to me thats the last thing you want to do.
    todays filler stick very well and i like to use the minimum amount possible
    and get my metal as straight as i can.

i don't remember that filler called black magic but compared to todays fillers
    all the old stuff was junk.very hard to sand or had alot of pinholes.
    i like todays lightweight fillers. I uses Z-Grip filler cause it doesn't pinhole alot
    and it spreads on smooth and easy to sand and doesn't clog the paper
    like some fillers seem to do when you sand of the top layer.providing you mix
    it right.
    Body&Paint 65 Dodge A/FX featured in
    Mopar Collectors Guide April/04 and
    Mopar Muscle June/05

Body&Paint 69 1/2 A12 Sixpack SuperBee
    car #170 on SixPack/6BBL Registry
    http://www.homestead.com/sixpacksixbbl/registry.html

I'd forgotten about how bad that "Black Magic" body filler always had a serious case of pin hole-itus. A little worse than the current Duraglas, Everglas, Bondoglas etc

Len, What brand of fillers did you use when you started out in bodywork ? Remember "White Lightening" body filler ?(I think that was from the '70's).

Quote Originally Posted by Phil V
    i used black magic on the first body work i ever did...1957 chevy i applied the filler and ran out of day light...the next day that stuff had set up so hard i couldnt even sand it . i ended up in defeat just primering over the sort of shaped repairs.

I remember using Clawson for years, boy that stuff was hard. We would put it on real thick then grind it off generating a cloud of dust that you couldn't see through. It was years before we discovered the cheese grater blade and more years before lighter, easier to sand filler came along.

Even tho I'm not an old fart......

I run across Black Magic all the time in the cars I restore.

A '37 Chrysler I worked on had that crap around all the fender beads...
    and the '55 Ford, '35 Ford, '56 Pontiac etc etc.... I'm assuming it was very old repair work. Dicussing it with a friend of mine who has been in the business for 50 years- he told me, "That's the old Black Magic sh**"

I think he still has a can of it... along with Liquid Ebony, Dupont Duco etc...

what was with the astronaught on the cans of microlight??

Quote Originally Posted by bondomerchant
    what was with the astronaught on the cans of microlight??
    "Space age Microspheres".......
    Anyone else remember White Knight?
    Like sanding concrete!

11. Default

alot of the old guys tell me to watch out for my shoulders but know it seems like half of it was due to the filler they were sanding.

I remember Cuz and used alot of White Lightning, and Cromate

My first was "GOLD BOND"...I probably went through enough gallons of that to build a swimming pool. But what I remember being so hard to sand was the old DuPont filler...don't remember a number or specific name...just that I learned to never let it sit overnight before sanding.

When 'Tack Free' first came out I thought I'd gone to heaven.

BTW, the prices for RAGE have gone through the roof around here (Alabama)...is it happening everywhere?

SamG

14. Default

Hey, you guys still do use gold bond. But now it's for your dentures.

Rage is around $30 a gallon up here. A couple more dollars for extreme, which is well worth it.

ive been paying around 40 for the extreme!! it doesnt stack worth a shit on the ugly jobs!! but is nice to sand!!