Thread: base coat

Default base coat

what is a pretty good base coat paint on the low end on cost? and what websites do you guys buy from? thanks

to be honest you arent going to save much by buying a bottom of the line basecoat, you'll just be sacraficing the finished product.
    Every manufacturer has a pretty good line of basecoat...all depends on whats available in your area.
    PPG DBC, global, Lesonal, Dupont Chromabase, valspar, and the list goes on.

if you buy a lower end BC, you won't be saving any money, cause the cheaper BCs take more coats to cover cause they normally are more transparent.so why not get the best BC and not have cheap paint on your car? it might turn out cheaper

88GT Guest

I quit trying to "save money on paints" a long time ago. I would end up just using the money I saved on materials and labor trying to make it look like better paint. And yes, for the most part the cheaper still will require more, so you really arent saving anything at all.

unfit353, The bottom line to lesser expensive paint products is directly related to what you're painting. If you have an old beater that runs good but looks bad then cheap paints are definately a viable option. PPG Omni sells basecoat paint that is a fraction of the cost of their high basecoat paint like DBU or DBC. But as the other guys mentioned SOME of the cheap paints have less color pigments in them requiring more paint to get good coverage. the solid colors (non metallics) seem to cover just about as well as the high end paints.

If you have a nice newer or collector car or you are painting only a fender and door (or less than a full paint) then I would stay away from lesser expensive basecoats like Omni because those paints in most cases don't match the existing paint as well as the high end basecoats. Another issue with low end basecoat paints is that they are not catalysed (chemically hardened) so if you get a run in the clearcoat and in the process of sanding out that run you cut through the clearcoat the odds are high that the paint will lift (curdle like you applied paint stripper) when you go to apply more paint over the cut through areas. Those are a few of the reasons why 99% of the time I use high end basecoat paints like DBU with its reactive reducer (chemical catalyst). If I were to cut through the clear for any reason then I am 100% sure that the paint won't lift when I apply more paint over the cut through area.

I used ppg dbc with dt870 reducer and sanded thru to the base. It lifted when resprayed. Even the good stuff is crap.

DBC doesn't have a reactive reducer like DBU does which is what PHil mentioned. Most of the regular basecoats do not have a reactive reducer. Most of them use a regular reducer like DBC. However there a few that use a special reducer like the Chromabase uses Basemaker. DBU uses a special reducer.

I personally use Lesonal and they use a regular reducer..and if you do sand through the clear and try to recoat it it does lift, however I have found if you put something like Basefix, or a Blending agent over it before applying basecoat, and let it sit about 20 minutes...then you dont have a problem recoating. I believe the thing that makes the lift is actually the reducer you reduce the basecoat with when you reapply because it eats into the older basecoat. I have also found that if you spray the basecoat with no reducer in it..just to get the problem area covered, it wont lift without the reducer added, and then for the couple finish coats you can add reducer to help the product lay down properly.
    Take this into consideration.. Have you ever by accident got paint on a molding or fender liner and had to wipe it off after the job was done? Well what do you wipe it off with? either laquer thinner or reducer. Well if reducer will remove the paint in that instance...and your adding it to your basecoat and spraying it over a non cured surface such as old basecoat, wouldnt it to the same thing?
    Im sure Phil is accurate if he says that the basecoats with the reactive reducers dont lift. I've sprayed DBU and chromabase on a couple occasions, but never used it regularly to find out if it would lift or not.
    Last edited by pane2k; 03-04-2007 at 03:44 PM.

Doug, if you had added the suggested DX hardener to the DBC then it wouldn't have lifted.

88GT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pane2k
    DBC DOES NOT have a reactive reducer like DBU does which is what PHil mentioned. Most of the regular basecoats do not have a reactive reducer. Most of them use a regular reducer like DBC. However there a few that use a special reducer like the Chromabase uses Basemaker. DBU uses a special reducer.

I personally use Lesonal and they use a regular reducer..and if you do sand through the clear and try to recoat it it does lift, however I have found if you put something like Basefix, or a Blending agent over it before applying basecoat, and let it sit about 20 minutes...then you dont have a problem recoating. I believe the thing that makes the lift is actually the reducer you reduce the basecoat with when you reapply because it eats into the older basecoat. I have also found that if you spray the basecoat with no reducer in it..just to get the problem area covered, it wont lift without the reducer added, and then for the couple finish coats you can add reducer to help the product lay down properly.
    Take this into consideration.. Have you ever by accident got paint on a molding or fender liner and had to wipe it off after the job was done? Well what do you wipe it off with? either laquer thinner or reducer. Well if reducer will remove the paint in that instance...and your adding it to your basecoat and spraying it over a non cured surface such as old basecoat, wouldnt it to the same thing?
    Im sure Phil is accurate if he says that the basecoats with the reactive reducers dont lift. I've sprayed DBU and chromabase on a couple occasions, but never used it regularly to find out if it would lift or not.
    I use Chroma base all the time. I dont activate it (although you can) and never had a lifting problem spotting a sand through.

I guess some basecoats are more tempermental than others. If i sand through i do have issues unless i put a coat of basefix over it or a blending agent.
    I used to be a DBC user but i used the DT reducer as well not DX. I guess im wrong maybe you can activate the DBC if you say so.