TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: Jitterbug sander

Default Jitterbug sander

Can a jitterbug be used to sand clearcoat or is it too aggressive? Never used one. What is the appropriate use of this tool?

88GT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kent
    Can a jitterbug be used to sand clearcoat or is it too aggressive? Never used one. What is the appropriate use of this tool?
    Appropriate use would be using it as a shot put. LOL
    It can be used for sanding clear. I would use 1500-2000 wet. Haven't used my jitterbug in a long time. Feels like it weighs a ton compared to a palm sander

also effective as a small boat anchor

With all due respect gentleman - I disagree. There are jitterbugs and then there are jitterbugs. There are the normal taiwani type import jiitter bugs and the older small National Detroit ones which for all practical purposes are good for shot puts and boat anchors. But there are that type of sander (only a little larger) made by National Detroit and Sundstrand. They have built in water jets with a water line hook up and are specially made for wetsanding. They are larger than the Hutchins Water Bug. I use the Sunstrand model and find it the most efficient way to wetsand clear. I will use 1200 grit wet/dry paper then finish off with 1500 grit on my Dynabrade dynaorbital rotary palm sander. The Sundstrand will sand the clear flatter, faster and easier than an orbital sander. I don't use the water hook-up for my Sundstrand or the national detroit, its more handy to just use a water spray bottle but the point is they are manufactured as a wet sander and not the normal jitterbug dry sander.

Phil, If I'm not mistaken these sanders you describe aren't jitterbug's (orbital action) but straight line sanders. I have a National Detroit model 800 which is a dual pad version (great for table tops). The one you describe is the single pad version of the 800 I believe. These sanders move the paper straight back and forth not in small 1/8" orbits which is I believe the definition of a jitterbug sander.