TheCoatingStore.com

Thread: High Temp Filler?

Default High Temp Filler?

Today I had someone asked me about high temperature filler on aluminum. Since I had no experience with this application I told him I'd get back to him after I asked the question here.

He wants a filler to apply over aluminum that can take temperatures around 400 degrees F. Any experience with this application?

Did you ask his application? Judging by the temp, it sounds like he's powdercoating it.

Eastwood sells powdercoating supplies, and has a recommended filler, too. I'd check their site.

Quote Originally Posted by Len
    Today I had someone asked me about high temperature filler on aluminum. Since I had no experience with this application I told him I'd get back to him after I asked the question here.

He wants a filler to apply over aluminum that can take temperatures around 400 degrees F. Any experience with this application?
    The only thing we have been able to do with aluminum, is to weld the low area, then machine it back flat. I'm not sure what he is trying level so I don't know if this helps or not?

I have no first hand experience with Lab Metal but it looks promising. They have a high temp version (1000 degree). Eastwood sells it too.

http://www.alvinproducts.com/

Len --
    Contact Chris at Michigan Fiberglass Sales 1-800-589-4444. Ask for Ad Tech Marine #77 filler -- comes in gallons or quarts. This is a high temp polyester filler (similiar to bondo) rated for 450 deg. We use it all the time at our shop for fiberglass repairs. Bonds well to steel, aluminum, etc.

Also -- have him send you a couple acetone wash bottles to try -- great for spray gun cleaning and general use around the shop.

Andy

my sonilaw's father has a factory in Chicago and one of the things they do is powdercoating, they had a customer wanting heads for golf clubs powdercoated that needed some filling on them and if I remember right Fibre Glass Evercoat recomended the All Meatal