TheCoatingStore.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help me out

Default help me out

iam 17 and iam trying to do the body work on my 65 chevelle becuase i dont have the money to send it out and i want to sarts doing this typ of trade for a living and thought it would teahc me alot by doing it myself

so far i have sanded the car down(not to metal) and i have been geting all the dents out and i was never tought the right way to apply bondo so if some one can help me there i was apreciate it. my planes after i get all the dents out and replace the old bondo(not much on the car)i was going to primer it with featherlights polyester primer then block it with 220 then 320 then 400 (both wet and dry) then i was going to put a sealer on it and shoot my base coat. i want to show this car so i want a good looking paint job.also i have never sprayed clear any pointers on spraying it. so if u could let me know what u think and give me any pointers i would apreciate it
    thanks

Red face How to...

DO they offer vo-tech where u r? I am chevy mans wife, and I went to Auto Collision Technology through my high school to be an adjuster. My lifes path made me a mom, and support for my husbands trade. However, having grown up in the industry My advice is to try- if you know someone who has done this type of work, ask them to take a look. You may just have the talent, and pick it right up. Good luck! This is an awsome lifestyle.
    PS - how to use body filler- use 1 inch hardner per every golfball of filler. apply directly to bare metal then let dry, block(sand) with a hard block that fits the contour. Repeat until desired outcome is acheived. Remember that you can not mess up with mud, Just keep trying until you get it. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 68-chevyman
    DO they offer vo-tech where u r? I am chevy mans wife, and I went to Auto Collision Technology through my high school to be an adjuster. My lifes path made me a mom, and support for my husbands trade. However, having grown up in the industry My advice is to try- if you know someone who has done this type of work, ask them to take a look. You may just have the talent, and pick it right up. Good luck! This is an awsome lifestyle.
    PS - how to use body filler- use 1 inch hardner per every golfball of filler. apply directly to bare metal then let dry, block(sand) with a hard block that fits the contour. Repeat until desired outcome is acheived. Remember that you can not mess up with mud, Just keep trying until you get it. Best of luck.
    ya iam taking a auto body class in high school but the teacher is lazy and not that helpful i have a guy down the street that paints but he is no good he is a flaker so thats why i just try and read up on stuff and try to teach myself

chevyman here,

Do you have a warm dry place to work, or are you working on your own car at school.

Here is something I think you should read.

Also Dura-Block has the best blocks. I reckamend geting a 10" long block from them as soon as you can aoford it.

The website on Bondo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was a website posted in the old board that is pretty informative.

http://www.roadsters.com/filler/

i hvae a question i was doing the body work on my hood and some of the old paint was chipping at the bottom where a molding piece gose i feathers the chipls in and thought they would be fine and then i primed the hook with an polyester primer but u can see were they were can i put bondo over polyester primer?
    i used feather fill by evercoat

Quote Originally Posted by 68-chevyman
    chevyman here,

Do you have a warm dry place to work, or are you working on your own car at school.

Here is something I think you should read.

Also Dura-Block has the best blocks. I reckamend geting a 10" long block from them as soon as you can aoford it.

The website on Bondo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was a website posted in the old board that is pretty informative.

http://www.roadsters.com/filler/
    Last edited by lt1chevelle; 01-21-2006 at 02:16 PM.

instead of bondo try some polyester spot putty. The poly spot putty most definately is compatible with featherfill since they are both polyester based products. You shoot one out of a gun and spread the other with squeege but they are basically the same stuff.

Let me give you some other help. Look at what you wrote, and compare it to the answers that you got. See the difference? Does the prose inspire confidence? If you intend to make this line of work a career, how are you going to inspire confidence in others? I know of three reasons people write like you do.

One is they do not care. They do not care enough to learn to do it correctly. They do not care what others think of them. They do not care enough about others who have to read it and work through the fractured English. Those folks are not too often sought after by employers.

The second is that English is not the primary language. Good for them, they are trying to do it right. They will be highly regarded, but still, many will not overlook the fractured English. We live in a great time. We have word processing programs to help with spelling etc.

Next, they have a deficiency, or were taught in a particularly foolish manner called Phonetics. Phonetics taught kids to spell like the word sounded, but then never went back to correct it, or frittered away the impressionable learning time that kids only have once in their development. For those kids, beige will always be bage, they can't help it. But again, it is a word processing program to the rescue.

Oh, I suppose there is one more reason, you get to be an old buzzard like me and forget it all and live by a word program.

Do you suppose it is an accident that virtually all of the paint and body professionals who inhabit this place have impeccable writing skills?

Here is what it can do for you:

I am 17 and I am trying to do the body work on my 65 chevelle because I don't have the money to send it out and I want to start doing this type of trade for a living and thought it would teach me a lot by doing it myself.

So far I have sanded the car down (not to metal) and I have been getting all the dents out and I was never taught the right way to apply Bondo so if some one can help me there I was appreciate it. My plans after I get all the dents out and replace the old bondo (not much on the car) I was going to primer it with feather light polyester primer then block it with 220 then 320 then 400 (both wet and dry) then I was going to put a sealer on it and shoot my base coat. I want to show this car so I want a good-looking paint job. Also I have never sprayed clear, any pointers on spraying it. So if you could let me know what you think and give me any pointers I would appreciate it.
    Thanks

Going to the extra trouble like this is a sign of respect to those who have to read it, and shows that you care. I care about your future, which is why I went to the trouble to write this. I think you are a pretty smart kid. Few your age have such an understanding of bodywork. I think you will do well if you care.

Default Hey Restoguy

How about coming over to my house and talking to my son? He has yet to make the connection between good communication skills and a good job in any field of endeavor. I guess it can take someone other than parents to bring enlightenment in these matters. Your message could make a much bigger difference to a 17 year old than anything I could tell him about car repair. Thanks for caring.

It is not possible to convince one's own son about anything. No problemo with the neighbor's kids though.

Usually I get flamed when I do a post like that. So thanks for the support.

I would like to applaud you, Restoguy. For a long time I've been under the impression that must "car guys" generally invested no time into communicating properly on the Internet.
    I'm 20 years old and am attending a decent university that has a reputation for its student body of "eggheads." The rest of them must be pretty good at math because some of the English I see written here is positively horrifying. I edit everyone's paper I know, and I'm not even an English major! Maybe I should apply for a job at the school newspaper, because I'm already editing their writers' material...
    Communication skills are extremely important in any job you do. Whether you're applying for an executive or a waste management position, if you come off as undereducated, you will be at a serious disadvantage. Polished writing skills alone will take you a long way
    Chris

Some of you guys are quick to admonish lt1chevelle (a 17 year old kid) for his poor spelling/typing skills and because you don't fee his sentence structure is up to your standards. Thats all well and fine for you to TACTFULLY bring his shortcomings to his (and everyone elses) attention, but at least show some common courtesy and his questions. While answering his questions be careful not to make any spelling mistakes, no typing errors, no fopahs in sentence structure and above all no run-on sentences. The kid didn't come here to be flamed for his spelling and sentence structure, he came here looking for advice that would help him while working on his car. For what its worth some of greatest people in history were really crappy spellers, severl presidents of the United States included. I can understand tuning someone up if they have a bad attitude but the kids attitude is good and he is reasonably polite. Keep in mind that we fix up rusty beat up cars as a chosen profession, I don't see where that gives us the right to anyone elses writing shortcomings. How about we stick to things we are good at (autobody and paint work) and if some 17 year old kid wants someone to embarass him in front of other people about english grammar then he can click on a site that specializes in english grammar. I personally find restoguys lecturing of that kid insulting and in bad taste especially on an autobody and paint site geared towards helping inexperience people to understand better ways of doing this type of work.

Also keep in mind that the kid could be sitting in front of a video game high on pot or crack, or he could be out stealing from people, car jacking or raping some young girl -- BUT HE WASN'T DOING ANY OF THOSE THINGS ! He expended some of his valuable time to come here asking for help and gets treated badly for some ridiculous reason. That to me is inexcusable. I personally think restoguy owes that kid an apology (and while he's at it - answer the kids questions).

And when restoguy answers that kids quesitons he better be careful of exactly how he answers them because --- I --- will be checking his answers closely for content and accuracy.

Default Everyone makes mistakes...

The problem found in this thread is that some mistakes are below the level of good communication and/or applied effort. This young man posts in order to receive information that can be very valuable to him in the future and when he receives answers they are fairly accurately communicated. This is because the people cared enough to check spelling and grammar before they posted the answer. Did they make mistakes? Possibly, but the info is there and what restoguy posted is in the form of help not in the form of ridicule. I usually try to answer most questions so that my response will go beyond the question asked when necessary, I think resto's response was made with this same thought, to help not to hurt.

Yeah Phil, I often get your kind of a response whenever I post like that. There are those who will merely sit back and say nothing, and those who will point certain things out. You seem to be pretty literate and articulate. What would you say if he were your kid? Who is your friend, the guy who tells you your zipper is down, or the guy who lets you walk around like that all day. And for some of the other comments, I sure do hope you recognize the occasional typo when you see one and accept it as merely that. And if I did not think that this kid had a great attitude, and was trying his best, I would not have bothered with him. I want to see him succeed. So it does not bother me to endure your comments.

BTW, Phil, there are 18 spelling and grammatical errors in your little diatribe. Just paste it into word and watch all of the red and green squiggles pop up.

I will never apologize for trying to help.

As for his technical question, I have nothing to offer. I expect you should be able to reply though. While I am at it, you own a shop, don't you? Would you hire anybody who filled out an application in this manner?

Apparently restoguy you and I are on different wavelengths. When I read a message posted by someone else I don't scan that message for grammatical errors, mis-spelled words or sentence structure. My focus is on what the message is the person is trying to convey, not dissect the message for errors in syntax or grammar. I just think its rude and insensitive to admonish someone in front of other people because of spelling errors and sentence structure. To me in the grand scheme of things the idea is whats important not something totally unrelated to that idea. Would I hire the kid ? most certainly I would. He's trying, and thats what is important to me. I didn't take your message to the kid as mutual constructive criticism, it looked to me like nit picking on your part. Think about it, that kid found this site and apparently felt that someone would be kind enough to share some information with him. What do you do ? you belittle him in front of everyone and even then you still don't have the common courtesy to answer his questions. I'll say it again - Its not our place to lecture people on the use or the misuse of the English language. Our function here is to share our knowledge of autobody and paint work in a moderately polite way. If he wants to be lectured on the use of the Enlgish language then re-direct him to a site that specializes in English grammar. This whole thing is getting blown out of proportion, but it rubbed me wrong and I felt a need to speak up. Wrong is wrong, no matter what spin you try and put on it.

P.S. - there was not 17 grammatical errors in this post.